This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Re: Vancouver indvidual property sales details

Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:53 am

https://vreaa.wordpress.com/2010/09/11/ ... -analysis/

These charts were done in 2010, we can look forward 7 years and if you compare to what actually happened its quite accurate.

No one decides market direction but when the market chooses a direction it follows rules. There is no to the moon and there is also no strait up crash.

if you guys don't know who Fibonacci is or what the golden rule is you guys should read up. It's just part of nature.

Technical analysis can be applied to RE but data is slow, and lots of external factors. War, policy change, natural disasters. All of these things can influence the market, the lack of liquidity also plays a major a big factor.

Having said that, no one can call the top of RE, impossible and no one can time the bottom. I don't think anyone is investing in RE at the moment. We have some guys who have already bought a while ago and we have the other party waiting for prices to drop before buying.

There is no wrong time to buy when you can afford to buy and live in it long term. If you meet that criteria you can afford for the market to go down, however you can't afford for the market to go up and be priced out. Investing in RE is not about timing, its about cash flow and does it make sense. RE investing is 2 fold, can cash flow cover outstanding liabilities. Upside on price is a bonus, if you invest in RE and the numbers don't work out monthly and upside price appreciation is all you are banking on that just more guts and balls then brain. May have worked in the past but its not a sound strategy. 
Its morally wrong to tell someone to rent when they can afford the down payment and buy. Its the only thing in Canada that an average citizen can do to make the largest possible tax free income. the TFSA and RRSP doesnt count because one is limited and the other is taxable Everyone knows at this time of the year houses are going faster, and there's an excess of apartments. Uneducated people whine abuot the Government holding things, when thats only for small down payments anyway.  And anyone can look up taxes on zillow for the Americans and thats out of this world.  Taxes there are typically 3 to 4 times the property tax you'd pay in Vancouver, which has the lowest property taxes in most of the English speaking world.  Americans have a  limit on the amount of tax free status on their primary homes as well while Canadians dont have such a limit

To the moon!

VanBullBear
Real Estate Talker

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:20 am

https://vreaa.wordpress.com/2010/09/11/ ... -analysis/

These charts were done in 2010, we can look forward 7 years and if you compare to what actually happened its quite accurate.

No one decides market direction but when the market chooses a direction it follows rules. There is no to the moon and there is also no strait up crash.

if you guys don't know who Fibonacci is or what the golden rule is you guys should read up. It's just part of nature.

Technical analysis can be applied to RE but data is slow, and lots of external factors. War, policy change, natural disasters. All of these things can influence the market, the lack of liquidity also plays a major a big factor.

Having said that, no one can call the top of RE, impossible and no one can time the bottom. I don't think anyone is investing in RE at the moment. We have some guys who have already bought a while ago and we have the other party waiting for prices to drop before buying.

There is no wrong time to buy when you can afford to buy and live in it long term. If you meet that criteria you can afford for the market to go down, however you can't afford for the market to go up and be priced out. Investing in RE is not about timing, its about cash flow and does it make sense. RE investing is 2 fold, can cash flow cover outstanding liabilities. Upside on price is a bonus, if you invest in RE and the numbers don't work out monthly and upside price appreciation is all you are banking on that just more guts and balls then brain. May have worked in the past but its not a sound strategy. 
yzfr.

The DoW theory is one of the oldest forms of TA, while that is respectable, it's incomplete. I read up on it because it sounds very familiar to what I use which is the Elliott Wave, with a lot of success on currencies, as it turns out they are similar theories but Eliott is much more complete.
Elliott's theory is somewhat based on the Dow theory in that stock prices move in waves. Because of the "fractal" nature of markets, however, Elliott was able to break down and analyze them in much greater detail. Read more: Elliott Wave Theory | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/articles/te ... z4Z9ONQy2d 
There is no study either that the DoW Theory has a statistical edge (correct more than 50% of the time), whereas the Elliott Wave has been proven to have statistical advantages. You can look more into it in the link below.
Not only did the Elliott Wave theory prove to be statistically sound, the research was able to generate the probabilities of a forecast being correct. In other words, the trader could now know the chances of a wave pattern and the resulting forecast with a low margin of error (statistical significance).Read more: Elliott Wave: Solving The Probability Problem | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/university/ ... z4Z9QTOZmo 
With Elliott, you will reach the same conclusion as the graph that you have posted, however it points out that there 3 primary waves occur before you get 2 corrective waves of similar magnitudes as your primary waves. The first half looks very much like the DoW - like what you have described, but the second half accounts for a correction on the primary level as in the image you see below. 
remember this chart that was posted by Geyser? This is a smoothed out version of the Elliott Wave - It follows market psychology which is the corner stone of technical analysis.
As for purchasing whenever you can afford from an objective point of view, you have to valuate the risk involved (Will elaborate on this on my reply to Harahomes.). You're mixing in a buy and hold strategy with Technical Analysis which really are the opposite. 

Another thing to note since you seem to be in to technical analysis. If you look at the price action of your average chart, we have had a parabolic movement to the up-side during 2015 and 2016. You know well that this is a sign of hysteria, it's also a sign to stay away - pigs get slaughtered chasing the prices (another basic technical rule). You can also see a price rejection that happened mid last year (look up reverse pin-bar in technical analysis). I don't think any technical analyst will advice you to buy into Vancouver after looking at the charts, in fact they will likely to tell you to short with a Stop limit at little above the 2016 peak. - I'm curious, do you do technical trades yourself, if so which instruments?

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:23 am

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:23 am

Agree.
The market is slow.  But picking up now after a 6 month hiatus.
If you're a realtor you still see the market as way too slow.
From the sales Im posting, I dont see very much discounting.
A decent house not needing renos, good neighbourhood, 33x122 lot, with suite is still going to cost you 1.5M.

Regarding the sales I post.
Those are not rare...like a couple per month. I can probably post a strong sale or 2 daily...over asking or high priced

Moreover, we lose detached properties to rezoning and development in the hundreds per year. Add the homes being scooped up by air b&bers and it wouldnt take much more to prop up the values.
most haven't figured out yet that sales increase after winter

VanBullBear
Real Estate Talker

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:45 am

I'm reading all these posts of people saying the market is tanking, or the market is going to the moon. 
Its funny because it reminds me of something my uncle told me once.  He was a really successful business man who has since retired and who made a lot of his money in grape farming and retail stores in the USA, and of course real estate.  (networth was over 15 million and he made approx. 100k a month in positive passive cash flow.  I read his finical stamtements because i didn't believe it)
So I asked him that day,  how the hell he made so much money.  His response shocked me.  It wasn't one real estate play, stock play or even what I was expecting hard work. He told me that he surrounded himself with the smartest people that worked for him and WHO HAD A POSITIVE ATTITUDE.  That wasn't the thing that really shocked me.  Any business man will tell you that.  The thing that shocked me and stuck with me since is that he said he's willing to take a risk.  An educated risk, but a risk never the less.  His most trusted employee was his accountant, according to my uncle this guy was one of the most brilliant man he ever met.  So I assumed this guy but be rich, but nope he worked his regular 9 to 5 job and made a great living but was never  wealthy.  Why?  He was to caught up in the numbers and worrying what others were doing and reading exaggerated news reports and never stepped up to the plate.  I think I was about 24 at the time, and I had just finished my accounting designation (CMA at the time).  My goal at the time was to find a job somewhere and make 150k a year as a CEO or CFO etc.  That one conversation changed my life.
Why am I telling you this?
We have 2 extremes on this site, the sky is falling and the real estate market is going to the moon.
It doesn't matter where the market goes, there is money to be made.  The market in Vancouver is going up.  Sales have already picking.  Prices are starting to move.  The reason sales have gone down is the media reports and smart investors trying to time the market hopeing that prices would fall.  I don't have a crystal ball, I've been around long enough to see that we are starting to level off or move up. Before people jump all over me and call me a shill, or pump and dumper or a real estate agent trying to prop up the market just know that I don't care.  
Personal story,  Back when I was 26ish I told a friend of mine (a doctor) that I was leaving finance and going into construction.  He laughed at me right in my face.  Didn't try to hide it.  If I had listen to him or people like him I wouldn't be where I am today.  Now the same guy asks me for advice. 
Harahomes, 

I don't believe anybody is saying the sky is falling, the bulls are saying it's going to keep going up from around these prices while the bears are saying it's going down in the short term before it resumes going up. But in the time frame of 10 to 15+ years, the market is headed up - this is agreed on by everyone.

Your uncle is a smart man, you need to take educated risks if you want to get ahead - no risk no reward is completely true. 
The risk is there for a lot of buyers in Vancouver, but lacking on the educated part. Nobody is valuating the Risks because it's assumed that these prices will keep going up, if prices are going to keep going up there is no risk. Is there a chance that it's going to keep going up? Of course there is, but what are the probabilities compared to the probabilities of prices going down, Should you chose to buy now and weather the storm if it goes down, what's the opportunity cost?. 
Where are the interest rates likely headed, Where is the dollar likely headed, is Chinas money going to keep flooding here at the same rate?

For the risk to be educated, these questions need to be accounted for and one must look at the underlying fundamental forces that are pushing this market up - are they going to be here for the long term? Who is going to support these prices at the fundamental level? These are all questions that one must put into account to truly valuate the risk involved. 

These are probability based, so you can chose not to valuate the risk and purchase anyways and look like a genius if prices keep going up. Just like in poker texas holdem, you can go all in with a pair of 5s and someone calls you with a pair of Aces, but you end up winning because a 5 comes out on the turn - did you make a bad play? yes, but did you get rewarded for it - yes. To drive the point home, on the example above, this is assuming the money between the players are similar. If the player with a pair of 5s had 10 times the money that of the player with a pair of Aces, the person with a pair of 5s made the right play in this case - why is it different than the initial case? Because the RISK is much less (only 10% of his money oppose to 100%) 

I believe you're a renter like me, the hidden advantage of renting right now is that we are NOT taking on that risk. Risk has a dollar value, it's just not obvious to most.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:51 am

I'm reading all these posts of people saying the market is tanking, or the market is going to the moon. 
Its funny because it reminds me of something my uncle told me once.  He was a really successful business man who has since retired and who made a lot of his money in grape farming and retail stores in the USA, and of course real estate.  (networth was over 15 million and he made approx. 100k a month in positive passive cash flow.  I read his finical stamtements because i didn't believe it)
So I asked him that day,  how the hell he made so much money.  His response shocked me.  It wasn't one real estate play, stock play or even what I was expecting hard work. He told me that he surrounded himself with the smartest people that worked for him and WHO HAD A POSITIVE ATTITUDE.  That wasn't the thing that really shocked me.  Any business man will tell you that.  The thing that shocked me and stuck with me since is that he said he's willing to take a risk.  An educated risk, but a risk never the less.  His most trusted employee was his accountant, according to my uncle this guy was one of the most brilliant man he ever met.  So I assumed this guy but be rich, but nope he worked his regular 9 to 5 job and made a great living but was never  wealthy.  Why?  He was to caught up in the numbers and worrying what others were doing and reading exaggerated news reports and never stepped up to the plate.  I think I was about 24 at the time, and I had just finished my accounting designation (CMA at the time).  My goal at the time was to find a job somewhere and make 150k a year as a CEO or CFO etc.  That one conversation changed my life.
Why am I telling you this?
We have 2 extremes on this site, the sky is falling and the real estate market is going to the moon.
It doesn't matter where the market goes, there is money to be made.  The market in Vancouver is going up.  Sales have already picking.  Prices are starting to move.  The reason sales have gone down is the media reports and smart investors trying to time the market hopeing that prices would fall.  I don't have a crystal ball, I've been around long enough to see that we are starting to level off or move up. Before people jump all over me and call me a shill, or pump and dumper or a real estate agent trying to prop up the market just know that I don't care.  
Personal story,  Back when I was 26ish I told a friend of mine (a doctor) that I was leaving finance and going into construction.  He laughed at me right in my face.  Didn't try to hide it.  If I had listen to him or people like him I wouldn't be where I am today.  Now the same guy asks me for advice. 
Interest rates are not going up and even if they do then you can lock in for 10 years.  You have to especially consider the foreign money that will come in ever increasing droves.  Don't proudly throw away money on rent like the other person

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:56 am

Agree.
The market is slow.  But picking up now after a 6 month hiatus.
If you're a realtor you still see the market as way too slow.
From the sales Im posting, I dont see very much discounting.
A decent house not needing renos, good neighbourhood, 33x122 lot, with suite is still going to cost you 1.5M.

Regarding the sales I post.
Those are not rare...like a couple per month. I can probably post a strong sale or 2 daily...over asking or high priced

Moreover, we lose detached properties to rezoning and development in the hundreds per year. Add the homes being scooped up by air b&bers and it wouldnt take much more to prop up the values.
experienced people(not those that openly say they were still in college in 2008 to 2010) know that if  they think interest rates will rise quickly and stay up for lifesome Canadian banks offer a 25 year mortgage rate.

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:21 am

Real estate is not a investment for me, its a piece of mind for me and my kids and a legacy for me to leave to them. The property I live in now was purchased with a large inheritance from my parents.  I'm Asian and buying property to live in is just part of the culture, I don't ever plan to sell my property nor do I intend to invest into anything while the numbers don't make sense. If the market crashes enough I would consider buying condo's from my children so they have something when they grow up. My mom always said, if you can have a property paid off for when you are young, you wont have much to worry about in life. A property to live in will go up and down with inflation and market fluctuations such a quantitative easing. I believe its a foundation, however I would have a different view if I had to finance a 1+ million property on my own.

HarahHomes had one interesting idea in his post. When it comes to business and doing it properly there is no bull or bear. Trades needs to be executed emotionless. When you have a gut feeling that drives you to be a bear or bull. That underlying emotion will override any technical or sound decision making ability. That's why people buy at the top, sell at the bottom. Try to time the market, try to catch a falling knife. If anyone is a objective business man he will look at the market and assess how he can make money at the given moment, not bitch and complain about its to cheap or to expensive.

Bears have been blind sighted by there emotions for the past 10 years and have missed out on the largest bull run on real estate in recent history. The opportunity cost missed is insane. However in the same respect pure bulls will also feel the same burn as the market naturally cycles and corrects and try to hold onto a sinking ship.

In securities you can go long or short. Going long you have a set loss, the securities can only go to $0 / However going short the possibilities of loss is infinite, there is no limit to how high prices can go. If you don't have kids sure renting is a option, however I feel rich or poor. Royalty or peasant. Everyone has the same amount of time, whats the opportunity cost of renting for 10 years and not having a place to call your own home, establish roots and raise a family with some sort of security.

If you buy to live, prices going up or down is only paper gains. Even if you are -50% equity its only a psychological blow it wont change day to day life. Even though I have 1+ million in equity in my home, it just makes me sleep easier at night but I don't plan to sell. It's not like I can go out and buy a Ferrari tomorrow.

Vanbear: I day trade using technical analysis, I like to use the Ichimoku cloud, I look for trends in the 30 min / 1 hour periods. I trade Canadian Equities in my TFSA to avoid capital gains. Plus I have a 9-5 job so its very "half ass" under the table trading trying to do regular work lol 

VanBullBear
Real Estate Talker

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Real estate is not a investment for me, its a piece of mind for me and my kids and a legacy for me to leave to them. The property I live in now was purchased with a large inheritance from my parents.  I'm Asian and buying property to live in is just part of the culture, I don't ever plan to sell my property nor do I intend to invest into anything while the numbers don't make sense. If the market crashes enough I would consider buying condo's from my children so they have something when they grow up. My mom always said, if you can have a property paid off for when you are young, you wont have much to worry about in life. A property to live in will go up and down with inflation and market fluctuations such a quantitative easing. I believe its a foundation, however I would have a different view if I had to finance a 1+ million property on my own.

HarahHomes had one interesting idea in his post. When it comes to business and doing it properly there is no bull or bear. Trades needs to be executed emotionless. When you have a gut feeling that drives you to be a bear or bull. That underlying emotion will override any technical or sound decision making ability. That's why people buy at the top, sell at the bottom. Try to time the market, try to catch a falling knife. If anyone is a objective business man he will look at the market and assess how he can make money at the given moment, not bitch and complain about its to cheap or to expensive.

Bears have been blind sighted by there emotions for the past 10 years and have missed out on the largest bull run on real estate in recent history. The opportunity cost missed is insane. However in the same respect pure bulls will also feel the same burn as the market naturally cycles and corrects and try to hold onto a sinking ship.

In securities you can go long or short. Going long you have a set loss, the securities can only go to $0 / However going short the possibilities of loss is infinite, there is no limit to how high prices can go. If you don't have kids sure renting is a option, however I feel rich or poor. Royalty or peasant. Everyone has the same amount of time, whats the opportunity cost of renting for 10 years and not having a place to call your own home, establish roots and raise a family with some sort of security.

If you buy to live, prices going up or down is only paper gains. Even if you are -50% equity its only a psychological blow it wont change day to day life. Even though I have 1+ million in equity in my home, it just makes me sleep easier at night but I don't plan to sell. It's not like I can go out and buy a Ferrari tomorrow.

Vanbear: I day trade using technical analysis, I like to use the Ichimoku cloud, I look for trends in the 30 min / 1 hour periods. I trade Canadian Equities in my TFSA to avoid capital gains. Plus I have a 9-5 job so its very "half ass" under the table trading trying to do regular work lol 
It would be great if real-estate can be looked at purely as an asset and not an investment for those wanting to get in. Unfortunately, the prices are extremely high compared to the average income, you would have to be at the very least within the top 5 percent of the population to even get in a detached even with 20% down (1+ million dollar finance). In that regard I think we are on the same page.
whats the opportunity cost of renting for 10 years and not having a place to call your own home, establish roots and raise a family with some sort of security. 
While it's nice to own a detached and have the all the perks that one has owning a home, it comes at such a high price in today's market it is at the point where it's not worth it to get in if you're not already in. One may own a detached these days but the headache of having a 1 million + dollar mortgage is a HUGE burden - you will always worry when interest rates go up or if there is a downturn in the economy with job layoffs etc. The budget will be tight for me at the very least and I'm above the top 5% household earner (below top 2%). So the opportunity cost of what you mentioned above is the long term stress of a million + mortgage. Picture yourself with your home right now and having a $1.2 million dollar mortgage for the next 25 to 30 years, what are your monthly payments? what will that be if rates go up by 1 to 2 %?, 3 to 5%? Not the most fun position to be in.

And yes I completely agree with Hara that trades, or investments, must be done emotionless. You know this very well as a day-trader I'm sure. Traders will fail if they don't follow a system (a set of rules regardless of how one feels). If you trade with emotions, that's a sure way to lose money - this is why trading is 80% psychological, you're always battling the demons within between fear and greed.

I do some trading as well. I used to day-trade, like you using Oil and Gold ETF, but I found it extremely hard to juggle with my full time job like yourself. So I switched my time frame to trading in weeks to months (i still use the daily, hourly bars for entry and exits). This way I can set my stop losses at the market open and check on it at the end of the day - a lot less consuming. I switched to trading in the futures market as well because it's open over-night, I find it better because I'm not exposed to the overnight gaps. Something happens overnight and the stop loss is skipped because of the gap, that's a crappy position to be in, i'm sure you understand - this is the main reason people day trade.

I haven't used Ichimoku, but I've seen a lot of successful traders use that system. Good luck to your trades, I'm always in support of technical traders - it's the only way to trade.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:24 pm

You say it is not an investment then why do you even bother buying one? People that actually live within their means know that the cost is not high or with your salary. The 5 percent claim is a joke.  Its especially good to enter a duplex or a home if not already, as you wouldnt have to worry about condo fees. People whine about interest rates when it doesnt matter. They can lock in if they falsely believe rates will go up.

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:21 pm

That's exactly the difference.
Bears and bulls in the housing market have an attitude of investment. Most people live their lives in the middle ground. We buy a house for our family when we can afford it. The equity gains are secondary. For the bears or shut-outs, the equity gains are the focus of the discussion because they dont have the insight into why people actually buy a home to live. They never vary from the investment argument. And the equity gains of others make them furious with envy.

All this talk about Dow Theory etc just gives me a headache. Dudes that theorize on real estate investment and strategy are the ones who clearly have their head up their ass. Its a misguided attempt to justify their poor position.

The reason why detached inventory is so low is because most of us have our homes to live. I'd say the vast majority of Vancouverites in fact. Value changes only matter to the investor...and that's the small minority of those owning sub 2M detached properties.

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:28 pm

Unfortunately, the prices are extremely high compared to the average income, you would have to be at the very least within the top 5 percent of the population to even get in a detached even with 20% down
A detached property is not an average property. Why should an average income fit?
As Ive said multiple times for many years, an average property in Vancouver is a condo. Fit your average income in with that property class.
You can find my research on this site somewhere.

VanBullBear
Real Estate Talker

Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:02 pm

Unfortunately, the prices are extremely high compared to the average income, you would have to be at the very least within the top 5 percent of the population to even get in a detached even with 20% down
A detached property is not an average property. Why should an average income fit?
As Ive said multiple times for many years, an average property in Vancouver is a condo. Fit your average income in with that property class.
ETB did you go to high school? You have the comprehension level of an elementary kid. Really you should get that checked.  :lol:
You forgot to quote the part where I say I'm above the 4 percentil of household income, more than triple that of the average. 

You did a research? lol surely that must be the end all be all source of truth. What was your primary source? TDMA's posts? ROFLL  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Realtor Logic for the win!

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:06 pm

The other person even admitted washing out of school in 2008. Considering your profession, you must be of good character and have excellent understanding to pass the stringent exam

Harahomes
Real Estate Talker

Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:54 pm

why do we have to be so hostile to each other?
come on guys no personal attacks