This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Re: Should the government intervene?

Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:27 pm

Depends on the amount of penalties(?). Yes?

To be effective, we need a mix of policies. Not just one. I'm willing to go with policies One, Two, Three, Five, Six and Ten. Your opinion?

"Martyn Brown: 10 measures to make home ownership more affordable in British Columbia"

http://www.straight.com/news/720816/mar ... h-columbia

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:21 am

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:11 pm

Only Canadian citizens should be permitted to buy in cities of Vancouver and Toronto. Also, owners to declare income taxes in Canada.
Anything less and this gong show will continue.

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:13 pm

Only Canadian citizens should be permitted to buy in cities of Vancouver and Toronto. Also, owners to declare income taxes in Canada.
What difference does it make? I thought it was the lack of land that was the reason the Vancouver real estate is so high....

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:14 pm

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:33 pm

What difference does it make? I thought it was the lack of land that was the reason the Vancouver real estate is so high....
Lack of land produces high, not incredibly stupid prices.

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:58 am

well - some might say that prices have been incredibly stupid for years. What did everyone call them? fawkers, bears, renters, etc. The bed is made, now we can all sleep in the same one :D

We ain't building any more land in Vancouver so prices will only continue to increase. Might as well get used to it.... and the foreigners :D

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:27 pm

Lack of land produces high, not incredibly stupid prices.
+1

"Vancouver's real-estate boom could soon come to an end, association suggests

... It states that since 1981, there have been 46 months when a year-over-year rise of 20 percent or more was recorded.

The document is not a forecast but a presentation of past boom cycles. However, with an eye on the future, it emphasizes that such cycles have usually been followed by a cooling period that began not long after that 20-percent threshold was passed..."

http://www.straight.com/news/725771/van ... n-suggests

"

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:27 am

Satistics and news reports are one thing... Just wondering, does anyone even have a family or a friend or know of a friend who has actually purchased a single detached property in Vancouver recently? The only friends / family I know who have done so is by selling their existing home. No outright "new" buys

Lots of activity in my neighbourhood in the past few years. Only one empty home that was "flipped". ALL of them that were sold are now occupied by mainland Chinese families. I've had no new "local" neighbors since moving into my house 5 years ago.

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:40 am

Satistics and news reports are one thing... Just wondering, does anyone even have a family or a friend or know of a friend who has actually purchased a single detached property in Vancouver recently? The only friends / family I know who have done so is by selling their existing home. No outright "new" buys

Lots of activity in my neighbourhood in the past few years. Only one empty home that was "flipped". ALL of them that were sold are now occupied by mainland Chinese families. I've had no new "local" neighbors since moving into my house 5 years ago.
Nope - just the illegal immigrants or criminals immigrants are buying with their proceeds from crime.

I wonder how this will effect our local market:

http://www.cknw.com/2016/06/27/chinese- ... lion-loan/

I am certain it will cause it to only go up... because no matter happens in the world (brexit, canadian dollar rises, canadian dollar falls) the only possible outcome according to our friendly neighbourhood realtor is that the market will go up.

LOL :D

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:57 am

...it emphasizes that such cycles have usually been followed by a cooling period that began not long after that 20-percent threshold was passed..."
June was a cooling period following May hot as heck month.
With prices as high as they are, don't expect sustained hot or cool (6 months or longer).
Prices are at a tipping point with delicate balance - it won't take much to cool or heat the market.

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:01 am

last one in our neighbourhood was spring 2015 at 1.2million. This is local couple with family "helping".
Any other purchase in several block distance has been foreign buyers with multi-generational under one roof.
Last friend or co-worker buying detached was back in 2010.
My thinking? All foreign buyers at this point - notwithstanding the fanning out of money from sale on west side property.
That's why we still see high volume in Grandview and Main areas

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:42 am

last one in our neighbourhood was spring 2015 at 1.2million. This is local couple with family "helping".
Any other purchase in several block distance has been foreign buyers with multi-generational under one roof.
Last friend or co-worker buying detached was back in 2010.
My thinking? All foreign buyers at this point - notwithstanding the fanning out of money from sale on west side property.
That's why we still see high volume in Grandview and Main areas
The more immigrants the better - Keep em coming! :D

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:44 am

What's wrong with the gong show? Seriously, nothing has changed for 8 years .... all of a sudden people are crying. :D :lol:

yzfr1
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:24 pm

They always say think of the average person, not very smart... Now 50% of that is even dumber.

People are starting to only cry now because it's to late. Like a frog in boiling water.

Back in 2008 my realtor friend was already telling me to get out of a condo and into a house. I think if you knew what to look at, the numbers and you are able to separate the emotion. There has been lots of signals..

Part of me wants it to go back down, because it's not healthy for such parabolic appreciation. But at the same time I hope it never goes back down to where BEARS can call a victory.

Bears always complain people are greedy, profits, corrupt, gambling ect ect. BUT atleast people who bought took a chance and did SOMETHING. They took a risk and it paid off (so far)

Bears just whine about affordability, and it's not fair. They want rules to be brought in to bring prices back down so that they can buy for cheap and "win". I think that mentality is even more evil. Lots of people who bought would suffer. Bears should suffer for doing nothing and complaining.