This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Re: Food for thought....

Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:40 pm

that article was written by a hater lol
that's what I was thinking when I read it.
I thought it was written by one of the perma-bears here like vanpro :lol:

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:44 pm

"Geyser"

I think a growing number of the more morally responsible owners are starting to see the dangers of the social division which this current imbalance is already causing. Many also don't like seeing their children being priced out of the city.

Seeing one's property value increase can be pleasing, but not if you are eventually forced to live in a gated community or a fortified condo tower. The results of extreme inequality can be seen in failed states like Mexico. Not for me thanks, I'd rather just see my RE values just keep in line with general inflationary trends, it's safer!
eventually I'm getting off this runaway train before it falls off a cliff.
There are better locales in the lower mainland to raise a family...Vancouver would be pretty far down my list if I were to rate them.

scoobydoo
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:56 pm

We appear to be on the same page.
Sorry about the over subtle sarcasm.
that's what I was thinking when I read it.
I thought it was written by one of the perma-bears here like vanpro
I guess the point was lost on both of you that the situation can be looked at in a number of ways. There are those that don't want the government to make policy changes to try to reign the "runaway train" by claiming it's a free market. However, those same people neglect to understand that there is no such thing based on the amount of government involvement on so many levels with the real estate market. Immigration is a great example.
There are better locales in the lower mainland to raise a family...Vancouver would be pretty far down my list if I were to rate them.
Hmmm...didn't you say that you were going to build a coach house in the back, move into it, and give the house to your kids when the time comes?

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:12 pm

"scoobydoo"]

Hmmm...didn't you say that you were going to build a coach house in the back, move into it, and give the house to your kids when the time comes?
plan A or B- move to no mortgage home. Buy rental condo to move in when I'm a geezer. Have it paid free and clear when I need it
plan B or A - stay where we are...coach house, yadda yadda
plan C or B or A...
etc.

If you don't have more than one plan I'd be surprised

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:19 pm

"Geyser"

I think a growing number of the more morally responsible owners are starting to see the dangers of the social division which this current imbalance is already causing. Many also don't like seeing their children being priced out of the city.

Seeing one's property value increase can be pleasing, but not if you are eventually forced to live in a gated community or a fortified condo tower. The results of extreme inequality can be seen in failed states like Mexico. Not for me thanks, I'd rather just see my RE values just keep in line with general inflationary trends, it's safer!
In your situation I would strongly consider the same move and I would probably pull the trigger before the election, then wait and watch for a while before buying again. Currently you have a lot of tax free profit sitting on the table, it may grow some more or it might suddenly and dramatically shrink (been there, done that - and it really hurts). Locking in those gains makes sense to me and that is exactly what prompted me to reduce my exposure to the local condo market a few years ago. The only problem I see is that the cheaper neighbourhoods tend to be much further inland and although some of the areas seem very nice and have attractive housing stock, there could be some issues with air-quality and commute times, but financially it sounds like a good plan.

There are some very good areas for families in Vancouver but currently they are ridiculously expensive, increasing your exposure to a possible major correction at this stage of our insane bull market has the stench of high risk about it, so moving much further out and dumping the mortgage sounds logical.

I wish you luck with your ultimate decision.
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:31 pm

Scoobydoo wrote:
Sorry about the over subtle sarcasm.
Subtle enough to be completely imperceptible.

As for the "free market", the point was not lost on me. I doubt if anybody who has heard about CMHC really believes that such a thing exists in our RE. Throw in immigration, First Time Buyer deals, tax free gains, lax lending policies and free money and you have the perfect storm. I'm just sitting here waiting for the first rogue wave to hit. :shock:
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:17 pm

"Geyser"

There are some very good areas for families in Vancouver but currently they are ridiculously expensive,
I disagree. There are zero good areas for families in Vancouver.
The west side is ideal for many reasons, but the composition is changing in a very unfavourable way. The folks moving to the west side are not community focused.
Commercial Drive has a good community feel to it but I don't like to property crime or the dirtbags in the area.
Main area - postage stamp sized lots, uber-expensive.
Everywhere else - no community...folks who don't care about ever speaking the language of this country, participating in national customs or
creating a neighbhourhood social network.

I like New West. Friendly people, good ethnic mix..celebrate Halloween and Christmas.
I'm sure there are other fine areas once you get out of The City of Vancouver

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:05 am

"Geyser"

There are some very good areas for families in Vancouver but currently they are ridiculously expensive,
The west side is ideal for many reasons, but the composition is changing in a very unfavourable way. The folks moving to the west side are not community focused.
Commercial Drive has a good community feel to it but I don't like to property crime or the dirtbags in the area.
Everywhere else - no community...folks who don't care about ever speaking the language of this country, participating in national customs or

I like New West. Friendly people, good ethnic mix..celebrate Halloween and Christmas.
Columbia station in New West - has it been cleaned up?

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:38 am

"Geyser"

Columbia station in New West - has it been cleaned up?
touche
Most areas of NWest are liveable...downtown is not on that list - just live Main and Hastings is not on most buyers lists in Vancouver (unless you were sucked in to buy Woodwards)

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:25 pm

"Geyser"

Then we'll have to disagree. I quite like Kitsilano, West Point Grey and Kerrisdale for SFHs and, for those with a larger budget, a large condo in Coal Harbour might fit their requirements. Those are all potentially nice places to raise a family, but I will agree that for toddlers even a very nice condo is less suitable than a SFH (unless the condo has a very large private terrace), but teenagers would probably love the ambiance and convenience of that location.

The locations you mentioned have far too many run-down old houses, scruffy apartment buildings and basement suites for my liking. Those types of properties often house less than desirable neighbours who could pose far more risk to children than some unsociable, wealthy, new Canadian. But then I've never been particularly xenophobic and I've enjoyed some very good and long lasting friendships with people from various parts of the world, including China.

As for the language issue, my sense is that South East Vancouver (where you live) has a huge number of ESL folks who don't seem very interested in integration, that tends to be the case with most people from very different cultures and who arrive in large numbers. Fortunately, a large percentage of the children will grow up Canadian, often to the dismay of their parents.

HomelessinSD
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:54 pm

There are some very good areas for families in Vancouver but currently they are ridiculously expensive
I disagree. There are zero good areas for families in Vancouver.....Main area - postage stamp sized lots, uber-expensive.
You should wander over to the west side on a Saturday morning / afternoon and check out University Hill or Jericho and see the hundreds (thousands?) of kids playing within the Vancouver FC soccer programs. Parents talking, siblings playing together while their brothers / sisters are doing their practices. Or check out the baseball diamonds and other team sports. Lots of community involvement and lots of parents who have become friends through their kids' activities.

Cruise by St. James Community Center on W10 and Trutch on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon - packed with kids and parents. Or the Jewish Community Center on 41st and Oak... always seems to be packed with parents and kids (and yes, you don't have to be jewish). Hillcrest / Kits community centers are so busy, there are long waiting lists for skating and swimming lessons. Go to Granville island and check out the playground this summer. Completely packed.

Yes, I agree that there are dark pockets of quiet streets where you don't hear the laughter of kids playing in the streets. It is the City, not a distance suburb.

There are great areas for families in Vancouver and that have lots of Christmas lights and Halloween decorations. Unfortunately, it just isn't affordable to buy housing in those areas.

eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:00 pm

"HomelessinSD"]
There are some very good areas for families in Vancouver but currently they are ridiculously expensive
I don't have an issue with the kids...they accept each other without prejudice. I'm talking about what the parents are doing to create a community - and not just small talk while their kids play with each other.
Block parties, looking after each other's kids, hosting events for their neighbhours in their backyard, helping an elderly homeowner with yardwork (etc.), staying home on halloween to give out candy to kids (rather than shutting the lights out and hiding etc. etc.
These kinds of things are becoming extinct in Vancouver...the more new Canadians you have the less community you have. Perhaps it's language barrier.
It is what it is.

I disagree. There are zero good areas for families in Vancouver.....Main area - postage stamp sized lots, uber-expensive.
You should wander over to the west side on a Saturday morning / afternoon and check out University Hill or Jericho and see the hundreds (thousands?) of kids playing within the Vancouver FC soccer programs. Parents talking, siblings playing together while their brothers / sisters are doing their practices. Or check out the baseball diamonds and other team sports. Lots of community involvement and lots of parents who have become friends through their kids' activities.

Cruise by St. James Community Center on W10 and Trutch on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon - packed with kids and parents. Or the Jewish Community Center on 41st and Oak... always seems to be packed with parents and kids (and yes, you don't have to be jewish). Hillcrest / Kits community centers are so busy, there are long waiting lists for skating and swimming lessons. Go to Granville island and check out the playground this summer. Completely packed.

Yes, I agree that there are dark pockets of quiet streets where you don't hear the laughter of kids playing in the streets. It is the City, not a distance suburb.

There are great areas for families in Vancouver and that have lots of Christmas lights and Halloween decorations. Unfortunately, it just isn't affordable to buy housing in those areas.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:14 am

HomelessinSD wrote:

Exactly right! The various community centres on the West Side are attractive for kids but they also have plenty of adult orientated programmes, including programmes for seniour's and singles.

I would concede that ETB2 is correct about the lack of street parties, but I doubt if the owners of higher end homes would see that as a negative.

HomelessinSD
Real Estate Talker

Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:12 pm

Sounds like you want a suburb within the City. Street parties are fine and dandy for the burbs. Street parties in big cities should be / are organized events. We just had Greek day along Broadway a few weeks ago... Main Street has a similar event. It's a City: a higher concentration of inhabitants.

If you are looking for a more intimate get together, head to Jericho / Spanish banks on a Saturday. Lots of multi family picnics and parties, many of which are school and neighborhood based.

The generalization about ethic groups not asmilulating is silly: that has happened for a long time and is certainly not unique to the most recent wave of immigrants.

Justice
Real Estate Talker

Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:31 pm

Sounds like you want a suburb within the City. Street parties are fine and dandy for the burbs. Street parties in big cities should be / are organized events. We just had Greek day along Broadway a few weeks ago... Main Street has a similar event. It's a City: a higher concentration of inhabitants.

If you are looking for a more intimate get together, head to Jericho / Spanish banks on a Saturday. Lots of multi family picnics and parties, many of which are school and neighborhood based.

The generalization about ethic groups not asmilulating is silly: that has happened for a long time and is certainly not unique to the most recent wave of immigrants.
I'm sorry, but that is completely off base. Many neighbourhoods in Vancouver (usually the ones you find engaged and involved residents living in) have block parties. They are good ways to meet the neighbours and foster a sense of community, the city even provides funds for them.

The big events you refer to like Greek Days or Car Free Days are not strictly local events and draw an audience from around Metro. Good luck trying to connect with many of your neighbours in that kind of throng.

Regarding immigrant assimilation: previous waves had to integrate or face being continually disadvantaged in the job market. If you are making all of your money in China and just enjoying the good life part time here, there isn't that pressure to assimilate.