This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

Austin
Real Estate Talker

Re: What now? Transit referendum says 'Non'

Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:04 am

It'll be interesting to see how accurate polls are in the federal election. They really sucked in the BC one.
Redistribute consumption, not income.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:07 am

The Canada-wide election has been covered by many more polls than a provincial election. Plus, there are a multitude of local polls both by pro pollsters and political parties. The parties' internal polls tend to be very accurate. Hence, the conservatives and NDP are playing defense.

The last CTV poll shows that 71% of Canadian voters want 'change'. On the other hand, Angus Reid said that a third of Canadians will decide on the last weekend and election day. That's why momentum matters.

We'll find out tomorrow. Stay tuned. It will affect the RE markets.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:04 pm

The 308.com has this to say,

"After 78 days, it all comes down to tomorrow. And the polls, at least, suggest that the day will go to the Liberals, installing Justin Trudeau as Canada's next prime minister.

​Up to and including those published by early Sunday morning, the Liberals have led in 17 consecutive polls, including surveys conducted by eight different polling firms using an array of methodologies.

The polls of all but one of those firms put the gap between the Liberals and the Conservatives outside the margin of error. And every poll has the New Democrats in third, trailing the Conservatives by between seven and 12 points and the Liberals by between 12 and 17 points...

The gap that exists between the Liberals and Conservatives in the Poll Tracker is not wide enough to give the Liberals a high probability of reaching the 170-seat mark required for a majority government. It is also not wide enough to rule out the possibility the Conservatives could eke out more seats than the Liberals nationwide.

So, though the Liberals are favoured in the polls today, it still makes the outcome of tomorrow's election uncertain..."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada- ... -1.3276755

Vote strategically because there are three major parties. You don't want a weak minority government.

tapioca
Real Estate Talker

Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:54 am

actually i do.

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:33 am

me too. I don't trust any of the platforms with a majority this time around.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:00 pm

me too. I don't trust any of the platforms with a majority this time around.
Thanks Westcoast,

Red Tide Red Tide!

Atlantic Canada has 32 ridings and they are all red!!!!! :shock:

Look at the magnitude of the swings. :!:

It's 6pm and still long lines at Roundhouse voting center. Get out there and vote.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:52 am

So?

Any regrets? Any wishes?

tapioca
Real Estate Talker

Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:27 am

well, twitter thinks our PM is hot, so I guess that's something.

otherwise, meh.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:53 pm

Can anybody imagine Trudeau trying to negotiate with Putin?

Say goodbye to our Arctic territorial claims. :roll:
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:43 pm

It'll be interesting to see how accurate polls are in the federal election. They really sucked in the BC one.
The 308.com guy has this to say,

"... Overall, the performance of the polls was largely positive. The Liberals were assessed to have between 38 and 40 per cent by five of the seven pollsters that were in the field in the last week of the campaign (the Liberals took 39.5 per cent). All pollsters had the Conservatives between 30 and 33 per cent (the party took 31.9 per cent). And all pollsters had the NDP between 20 and 22 per cent (instead of the actual 19.7 per cent). The Poll Tracker pegged the three parties at 37.2, 30.9, and 21.7 per cent, respectively.

So the calls of most pollsters were virtually all within the margins of error of the polls. But these numbers show why a call of a majority government was difficult to make. Two pollsters had the Liberals at 35 or 36 per cent, and three others had them at 38 per cent. That would not have been majority territory for the party. The slight over-estimation of the NDP (from a few tenths of a percentage point to just over two points) appears to have been behind the slight under-estimation of the Liberals. That alone was enough to turn a minority into a majority.

The result highlights the importance of momentum in the late stages of a campaign, and how polling needs to be done up to the last moment to capture the final snapshot of a fluid and shifting race. The Liberals were on track to win this election almost two weeks ago. They might have only won the majority in the last few days."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada- ... -1.3279691

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:46 pm

well, twitter thinks our PM is hot, so I guess that's something.

otherwise, meh.
I'm an ancient guy. So, I don't think that Trudeau is hot. However, I see Trudeau as an honest person who really likes people.

Have you met your new MP? Go and size him up, Bother him with whatever strange obsessions you might have. Put him to work. This is democracy at work. :D

tapioca
Real Estate Talker

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:32 am

i've actually heard good things about our new MP who I didn't vote for. Apparently he is a nice guy.