This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Bulls cheer. Newbies weep. Solutions?

Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:32 am

Bulls cheer. Newbies weep. Solutions?

Lots of silly prices paid over listing. Is all lost for the prospective buyer on a budget?

The logical solution has been to look further afield in search of the white picket fence. Does North Burnaby or COQ work for you? Does the transit options make sense? AVOID the Expo Line.

I would like to ask prospective buyers to rethink their priorities. I would make the case that a well planned estate of townhouses would work better in the central districts like the Cambie and Oak St corridors.

Location. Location Location. Perhaps, better schools. Closer to amenities. Familiar neighborhood. Canada Line. Cheaper too!

There's an oldie like Langara Estate with big strata townhouses.

http://langaraestates.com/mylistings.ht ... s-15891137

Are you better off paying $1.2m in Burnaby?

What are new townhouses? At this price level, developers have been able to assemble parcels. Quality fixtures. A/C.

http://www.realtylink.org/prop_search/D ... 00&SCTP=RA

Listraor is working the Oak St corridor. The earlier projects look cheap. The new projects look contemporary. Unfortunately, this project has been squeezed up to four storey. This particular unit 1200 sf is spread over 3 story! Any better examples out there?

Not particular about decor? There are inexpensive ground floor oldies like this...

http://www.realtylink.org/prop_search/D ... l&From=MLS

Your thoughts. Move or stay? New or old? There are solutions. Can you change your mindset? For advise to Rofina and Red. Don't weep. Get real.

tapioca
Real Estate Talker

Re: Bulls cheer. Newbies weep. Solutions?

Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:40 am

what is wrong with you? worried your condo is losing value compared to SFH? don't be jelly.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:50 am

what is wrong with you? worried your condo is losing value compared to SFH? don't be jelly.

Oops! Sounds like I hit a nerve.

Actually, I've done some research. IMHO, central districts still have great lifestyle benefits. Hope that this thread is of value to Red. Doesn't have to be priced out of the central districts.

Would you pay a million for a house in McDonalds parking lot?

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:17 am

I don't think any nerves have been hit, and no one really cares about the "research" that you've done - are you really sharing the earth shattering news that some neighbourhoods outside of downtown and False Creek have "great lifestyle benefits"? Its nearly as ground breaking as your previous thread, that a realtor can help you sell your property, and may be able to gauge the market conditions. Wow, where would we be without all this unique insight? :roll:

The answer - there is no solution for all, everyone is going to make their own compromises if they cannot find what they want for the price they want. I know some people that have settled on buying further afield. I have another set of friends that are looking right now, that have adjusted their budget from 750K 9 months ago to 950K now, in order to get what they want where they want it. Another set of friends looking now have done a combination of both (raised their budget and looked outside their preferred neighbourhood). I'm sure people adjust their housing type expectations as required as well (from house to townhouse, or townhouse to apartment). People adjust as the market gyrates.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:35 am

I don't think any nerves have been hit, and no one really cares about the "research" that you've done - are you really sharing the earth shattering news that some neighbourhoods outside of downtown and False Creek have "great lifestyle benefits"? Its nearly as ground breaking as your previous thread, that a realtor can help you sell your property, and may be able to gauge the market conditions. Wow, where would we be without all this unique insight?
.... :lol:

If I was a Buyer and I didn't have a big whack of cash to put down, I would simply take a rest and not buy. Prices may continue to rise but at this point they are "out of this world" for the average buyer. I would look to move out of the city. Vancouver Island looks really good. :)
Hoo~Cudda~Not~Nod~ed????? :-)

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:48 am

IMO, this is a timely discussion because the market structure changes as the price point rises.

The most important development for small families in the central districts has been the ability of developers to put together parcels along Cambie (and Oak and Granville). A this price level, homeowners are selling out.

Look at the new condo along Cambie. Near the Canada Line stations and BIG parks. Very low density area. Check out the Empire (delivering this year). Or, the Monarch and Parc26.

From Cambie St, they look like strip condo. The one-bed mostly face the main road. Narrow set back. Not ideal. But, this is NORMAL for big cities.

Higher floors look out over the SFH {west) and the Queen Elizabeth Park (east). Here's the important part. The townhouses are located at the back kinda like laneway homes. They are relatively quiet and affordable by the standards of the area. Gets quieter south of 49th Street.

Check out the Oak Street building next to Montgomery Park.

Some of these are fitted out as luxury units to the standard of the best of False Creek. No need to spend $$$ reviving a shack.

Actually, this is what I have been waiting for. Does it work for you?
If I was a Buyer and I didn't have a big whack of cash to put down, I would simply take a rest and not buy.:)
Whaaaat??? Won't they be "price out forever"? :roll:
Last edited by jimtan on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:54 am

Jim Tanned:
Won't they be "price out forever"?
....duh! exactly Einstein! They are already.
You're almost ready for Grade 2 genius. :mrgreen:

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:59 am

:mrgreen: :roll: :P

Listen to the Great BULL. As I said, the market is now above your pay grade. :!:

Why not move to Surrey (Expo Line) or Maple Ridge (West Coast Express), Get a JOB there? :roll:

Anyway, I'm looking for an intelligent discussion. You don't have to take part.

tapioca
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:11 am

this is intelligent discussion?

i know you're excited about the canada line and that's cute, and for sure that area is going to change..but so what. lots of change everywhere.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:27 am

Right! INTELLIGENT discussion please. Looking for solutions, please.

Anyway, this is a heads-up for those looking in all the wrong places. :D

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:35 am

Jimmy Redbum:
As I said, the market is now above your pay grade
....as I have already agreed to your suggestion on many occasions, yes, it is well above my "pay grade", as you put it.
Please be more original or I will have to spank your other end too. hahhaha.... :lol:

Dragonslayer
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:43 am

SFH=BreX

MFH (Townhouse)=Breasea

Momentum has taken SFH past a sustainable level.

Buying a newTownhouse when a lot of other new product is coming down the pipeline is like buying a new GMC and then trying to trade it in at the Ford Dealer the next day. You will have to take a hit to move used product.

FWIW I sold a year ago and have huge trepidation about entering the market. Even to buy developable land looks like a very long term hold

Want another metaphor?

Interest rate hike= Alarm Clock

Everyone will wake up with a hangover.....

I joined this forum in 2008. Back then I saw in the USA many Developers offering New Cars, Vacations etc with the purchase of a home.Now in BC I see many Offshore Owned Estate type homes moving with "selling bonuses" paid to Realtors. I think the worm is turning

tapioca
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:05 am

so, i read the article about the new exciiting plans!!! for cambie. Which, are pretty much the same as what Burnaby, NW etc have been doing for years around transit hubs.

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am

so, i read the article about the new exciiting plans!!! for cambie. Which, are pretty much the same as what Burnaby, NW etc have been doing for years around transit hubs.
+1

Perhaps groundbreaking stuff for Vancouver, but Burnaby has been building around its "4 city centre" plan for 15-20 years now. Putting transit hubs and high density living together is nothing new...

tapioca
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:31 am

and townhouses. WUT. townhouses? wuuuut?