This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

thinktom
Real Estate Talker

Re: Young people ....what advice to give them?

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:47 am

vancouver has no head offices no big companies and no industry..........

now what does SanFrancisco have ????? we could embarrass vancouver really bad right now

would you start a career in vancouver ????

Some medical advice from Dr Johnny Horton PHD.

1. Xanax for the deep, dark depression that you are obviously in.
2. Perhaps a patch or inhaler to help with that question mark addiction that is also controlling your brain.
3. Leave parents basement at least 3 times a week.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:20 pm

....hahahaha....and Dr. Johnny's main recommendation....

stop getting off on the flatulence of others. It's sick and very unhealthy for your mental state. :mrgreen:

Peeve~euwwww! :mrgreen:
Hoo~Cudda~Not~Nod~ed????? :-)

Kootenay
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:48 am

I already told my 26 year old nephew that he should NOT try to live on a champagne lifestyle if he only makes a beer income. I also told him to invest in real estate rental market in areas that is cheap to own in even though he would never want to live there like some of the small towns in Saskatchewan, Manitoba where houses can still be had for under $50,000.00 . Rent it out to good tenants and over time they pay for the house. Then he should sell the houses that he rents out when he is ready to buy where he wants to live as those houses would be his down payment on something real nice.
He currently lives in his long haul truck as he drives class 1 all over North America.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:35 pm

I already told my 26 year old nephew that he should NOT try to live on a champagne lifestyle if he only makes a beer income .
....how about living a non-alchohol lifestyle.... hahahaha :mrgreen:

...anyhow, it's all great advice although there are a few idiots here who are very real estate adverse and would condemn you. I wouldn't though, I think it's a good idea. :mrgreen:

edited to point out that the correct spelling is "averse", not "adverse". Fawk, if there was any spunk left in the Crash'tards they would have been all over that one. I guess they know they'll just get more of a fawkin' thrashing if they open their yaps... :mrgreen:
Last edited by WhipMaster on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:03 am

I would tell young people that the first five years of ownership are probably the toughest.
I would tell young people that real estate ownership is a long term investment.
....and yes, it's an investment.... probably the best one they could ever make. :lol:

I would also say that If your job is stable enough and you have a bit of a cash cushion in case you run into a little difficulty, that would be a good idea.
I would tell them that if they can get to the point where the property is clear title, they should be pretty well set for old age...not quite, but almost. :mrgreen:

onsto
Real Estate Talker

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:24 am

Get an education that will always make you a living. Wear a condom... everything else you can figure out for yourself.

If you can make it to your later 20s with a reliable income (whether its a trade or a profession) and no extra mouth to feed, you're in good shape. Most of the financial trouble you can get into in your earlier 20s is small fry by real standards and you can manage through it with some work, but having a crappy / unreliable income and a couple of kids to feed, clothe and educate is just about impossible to get ahead of.

My biggest mistakes, especially financially, were my biggest learning experiences, and most of the time a whole ton of fun too. I'd never take that away from a youngster coming up in the world. Hell, they'll ignore most of your advice anyway, might has well keep it succinct and memorable.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:51 am

I would also tell them...they can never save enough money to retire on from their wages alone.
They must invest in something. Merely hoping that real estate prices will crash is not a strategy, as the Crash'tards are now fully aware after 11 years of waiting..... :mrgreen:

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:27 pm

And here is my final piece of advice, and possibly one of the most important.

Avoid incurring as many taxes as possible. Please note, I didn't say to evade tax.

But do avoid taxes.....

1) Principal Residence designation for tax purposes is huge.
2) Don't buy newmerchandise or from a store, if at all possible.
3) Cook your own food instead of going to restaurants
4) Become self sufficient and avoid having to call in servicepeople.
5) Get off the grid as much as possible, ie wood burning stove for heat.
6) Barter and trade where possible.

:lol:

tedeastside
Real Estate Talker

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:41 pm

if everybody made their own coffee and bagged their own lunch, vancouver's economy would fold

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:15 am

You have to be really good to make it in Vancouver. If you can't make it here there's always Lost Angeles, Pee~yeuw York, Tulsa, or Bellingham, or as Ted found out, China. :mrgreen:

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:53 pm

Here is some advice young people. It's from poster named Rofina.

I do not endorse this theory, but it seems to make him feel better about himself:

Rofina:
Contrary to popular belief, dumb people tend to be richer than intelligent ones. The meme thrown around " if you're so smart, why aren't you rich?" shouldn't be a question, but rather an answer.

Intelligent people spend much more time analyzing risk and have a better understanding of risks involved. The inverse of this is that they also tend to take less risk, and reap less reward. High return investments are typically high risk.

Less intelligent people tend to put their eggs in one basket and give it 100%, when this works they look absolutely brilliant because the risk paid off.
Translation: To him rich people are dumb cuz he doesn't know how they do it.

Analogy: People who speak a different language are dumb cuz he doesn't understand it. :shock:

Bottom line: Do not take advice from falsely self entitled individuals cuz they aren't very s.a.v.v.y. :P

Hoo~Cudda~Not~Fawkin~Node??? :mrgreen:

instigator
Real Estate Talker

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:24 pm

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:53 pm

[
I've been trying to do that with you but, just like I said, some folks resists education.

Okay, so you claim that the CIA invented rap music. But was it their intent to make a few brothers rich?

And how about your other rapper hero who used his wealth to build a school in Afganistan. Admirable in my mind but, based on your earlier statements, you think he should have used the money closer to home rather than in a country where such efforts are resisted? That's what you said in the other thread. :roll:

Your contradictory statements and convoluted logic conspire to bewilder me. :roll:
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

instigator
Real Estate Talker

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:08 am

no i didn't say the CIA invented Rap music but if you look up Rick Ross he was employed by the CIA to distribute crack cocaine in south central Los angeles

instigator
Real Estate Talker

Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:06 pm