This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

PatrickGunville
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Market during war?

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:31 am

Random question, but what historically happens to markets during periods of war? Is property be confiscated? What would happen if the US ever went to war?
Last edited by PatrickGunville on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

registered
Real Estate Talker

Re: Vancouver real estate market if China declares war on US

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:56 am

Paging unicas, manifest destiny at the front desk for unicas..
the dogs bark but the caravan moves on

Warren12
Real Estate Talker

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:51 am

Canada's economy is far more dependent on the US than any other country, including China.

But my experience playing Call of Duty tells me the rest of your points are 100% bang on. :roll:

westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:00 pm

What will happen to the Vancouver real estate market if China declares war on US over the conflict in Syria? We can expect a total paradigm shift in the economics of the Chinese economy if they allied with Russia against the US in defense of Syria. The reality of the situation is that China and Russia have been in a currency war with the US for decades. They understand their military might not yet be enough in flat out battle, but they understand economics and the US debt-based financial system. They understand they can win the battle with their mind, not bruce force. War is primarily a financial war. Like how our legal system is a battle of money. In our current societal structure, money has become our means of defense and protection. China and Russia are using this rare opportunity to acquire as much gold as ever before in recorded history, while the US continues to sell all the gold in its vaults, at bargain low basement prices! The US continues to print trillions of dollars to fund its military, further debasing the value of its currency. In times of war, "good as gold" never rung truer. Nobody can trust paper currency in times of crisis--this happened in the Vietnam war, no merchants would accept anything but gold! Bonds will collapse, pushing up interest rates, crashing the stock market and real estate market. China and Russia know this. But they have all the gold, and anybody around the world who understands this can protect themselves by investing in gold and silver coins and bullion. For those of us here in Canada, our economy is especially dependent on the Chinese economy, this war with the US will have a significant impact on the Canadian economy, especially major cities, like Vancouver and Toronto. It has already been proven that the China GDP growth drives Vancouver real estate prices. Therefore it is recommended that if you live in one of these areas, you sell your real estate at peak prices, and then simply buy back in after the market tanks and you have an abundance of cheap inventory to select from!
I think Vancouver real estate is the least of your immediate worries should China declare war on the US... you can expect a total paradigm shift for everything on earth.

tedeastside
Real Estate Talker

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:55 pm

all Vancouverites care about is their property value above ANYTHING else, thats all Vancouverites will be talking about if there is a war.... America the richest most powerful country in world history can wipe out ANY country in the world with ease

semven
Real Estate Talker

Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:48 pm

Fuck...Seriously?

How do you top this Gonville?

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:09 pm

Our cocky young rookie realtor/investment advisor/political analyst and freshly minted font of all wisdom makes me think of this wise old quote, I don't remember who said it but I notice it often rings true:

"People who know little are usually big talkers, while men who know much usually say little."

And here's another quote which seems appropriate:

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”

A couple of questions for you Patrick:

(1) Is your grandfather an obnoxious Australian Property Developer?

(2) Are you related to Glenn Beck or does he just pay you for referrals?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

rofina
Real Estate Talker

Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:44 pm

Hypothetically speaking...

If this scenario transpires I suggest to forget gold and silver. First and foremost buy guns and ammo, second borrow as much as you possibly can and then some and buy Richmond/Delta property. There will be nothing more valuable in the world than fertile farmland, and fiat currency debt will be meaningless anyway.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:41 pm

I love the way the doomers all suggest gold. I can just see some terrified little man crawling out of his bunker in a post apocalypse world and trying to trade some gold for some cans of beans being offered by a gang of meth crazed bikers.

"Certainly sir, will that one can or two? Did you know we have a special on sardines? Thank you sir, please come again."

Realy??? :lol:

I think I'll stick to my current portfolio - along with a few bags of rice and cases of canned salmon stored next to my guns and ammo, just in case. Gold is nice and shiny but it's hard to eat.
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

Warren12
Real Estate Talker

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:12 am

all Vancouverites care about is their property value above ANYTHING else, thats all Vancouverites will be talking about if there is a war.... America the richest most powerful country in world history can wipe out ANY country in the world with ease
I have to agree with Ted here. There are plenty of negative things about the USA, but their military power is unquestioned.

semven
Real Estate Talker

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:39 pm

I have to agree with Ted here. There are plenty of negative things about the USA, but their military power is unquestioned.

..and Vancouver sleeps securely under its sentry's gaze....

tedeastside
Real Estate Talker

Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:59 pm

nothing bad ever happens to vancouver, the best place on earth...the worlds most world class city

Warren12
Real Estate Talker

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:39 am

..and Vancouver sleeps securely under its sentry's gaze....
Better than living in Israel surrounded by countries who talk about wiping you off the face of the earth.

semven
Real Estate Talker

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:59 am

Exacty

thinktom
Real Estate Talker

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:45 am

Fuck...Seriously?
The bigger question Patrick, and I anxiously await your video on this, is if the US declares war on Albania! What then??!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNo0BicRM8k

(LOL, I forgot what a damn good movie this is).