This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Re: Climate Warming is coming to BC

Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:41 am

I only need to look at the vacancy numbers and I know that your hopes are fantasies.
Jimtan presumably believes that Vancouver's numerous previous home price collapses were all preceded by a massive increase in rental vacancies. Clearly this clown is beyond hope. Truly amazing! :shock:
It is wrong opinions based on lack of education, sheer stupidity, lack of research (laziness) and genuine stupidity.
I'm not quite sure what the difference is between "sheer stupidity" and "genuine stupidity" but I do find it ironic to hear this from a know-nothing, uneducated moron who thinks that Macau is a Dutch colony and the Dutch never had an empire. I don't know how many (or how few) tax dollars were wasted on Jimtan's lack of education but I want my share refunded. Amongst the many examples of wasted government funds JT's school must be near the top of the list.

So which do you suffer from JT? Is it "sheer stupidity", "genuine stupidity" or some other form of stupidity?

How somebody this clueless avoids being hit by traffic is a mystery to me.
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:56 am

Let's look at a real scientist and a hero.

James Hansen is a scientist and heads the Goddard Institute for Space Studies. He's been warning about global warming since 1988. Lately, he's turned militant like Fred Singer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hansen

“The first GISS (NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies) global temperature analysis was published in 1981. Hansen and his co-author analyzed the surface air temperature at meteorological stations focusing on the years from 1880 to 1985... Warming in the past century was found to be 0.5-0.7 °C, with warming similar in both hemispheres.[13] When the analysis was updated in 1988, the four warmest years on record were all in the 1980s. The two warmest years were 1981 and 1987.[14]...

The temperature data was updated in 2006 to report that temperatures are now 0.8 °C warmer than a century ago, and conclude that the recent global warming is a real climate change and not an artifact from the urban heat island effect. The regional variation of warming, with more warming in the higher latitudes, is further evidence of warming that is anthropogenic in origin...

In 2003 Hansen wrote a paper called Can We Defuse the Global Warming Time Bomb? in which he argues that human-caused forces on the climate are now greater than natural ones, and that this, over a long time period, can cause large climate changes.[31] He further states that a lower limit on “dangerous anthropogenic interference” is set by the stability of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets. His view on actions to mitigate climate change is that "halting global warming requires urgent, unprecedented international cooperation, but the needed actions are feasible and have additional benefits for human health, agriculture and the environment."

A year later, Hansen joined with Rahmstorf and colleagues comparing climate projections with observations. The comparison is done from 1990 through January 2007 against physics-based models that are independent from the observations after 1990. They show that the climate system may be responding faster than the models indicate. Rahmstorf and coauthors show concern that sea levels are rising at the high range of the IPCC projections, and that it is due to thermal expansion and not from melting of the Greenland or Antarctic ice sheets.[41]

Following the launch of spacecraft capable of determining temperatures, Roy Spencer and John Christy published the first version of their satellite temperature measurements in 1990. Contrary to climate models and surface measurements, their results showed a cooling in the troposphere.[42] However, in 1998, Wentz and Schabel determined that orbital decay had an effect on the derived temperatures.[43] Hansen compared the corrected troposphere temperatures with the results of the published GISS model, and concluded that the model is in good agreement with the observations, noting that the satellite temperature data had been the last holdout of global warming denialists, and that the correction of the data would result in a change from discussing whether global warming is occurring to what is the rate of global warming, and what should be done about it.

In a paper published May 18, 2007, Hansen discussed the potential danger of "fast-feedback" effects causing ice sheet disintegration, based on paleoclimate data.[49] George Monbiot reports "The IPCC predicts that sea levels could rise by as much as 59 centimetres (1.94 ft) this century.[50] Hansen’s paper argues that the slow melting of ice sheets the panel expects doesn’t fit the data. The geological record suggests that ice at the poles does not melt in a gradual and linear fashion, but flips suddenly from one state to another. When temperatures increased to 2–3°C (3.6–5.4°F) above today’s level 3.5 million years ago, sea levels rose not by 59 centimeters but by 25 metres (82 ft). The ice responded immediately to changes in temperature."[51]

Hansen stresses the uncertainties around these predictions. "It is difficult to predict time of collapse in such a nonlinear problem ... An ice sheet response time of centuries seems probable, and we cannot rule out large changes on decadal time-scales once wide-scale surface melt is underway."[49] He concludes that "present knowledge does not permit accurate specification of the dangerous level of human-made [greehouse gases]. However, it is much lower than has commonly been assumed. If we have not already passed the dangerous level, the energy infrastructure in place ensures that we will pass it within several decades."

That's a real scientist. He's been on the right track since 1988.

Look at the chart. This is what science is about. You eliminate the null hypothesis.
Attachments
meehl-attribution.jpg
meehl-attribution.jpg (40.2 KiB) Viewed 7292 times

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Jimtan, your stupidity is getting tiresome, you seem to have fixated on the notion that I don't believe in climate change. Either you don't read what I have posted previously or you have the retention characteristics of a humming bird, I'm betting it's the latter.

Here, once again, is my original post to this thread. Read it again and try to retain it, there should be ample room to accommodate it in your apparently empty brain.
I believe in climate change but I think the term "global warming" is highly misleading. Despite the warming trend I prefer to say "massively increased weather volatility" as demonstrated by hurricane Sandy.

Over the next couple of decades it appears that one of the major impacts on the Lower Mainland will be dramatically increased annual rainfall (Charlotte Islands style). I probably won't be alive to see Richmond, Delta, False Creek, Gastown, etc., flooded but I do think it's going to happen eventually.
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:57 pm

Here, once again, is my original post to this thread. Read it again and try to retain it, there should be ample room to accommodate it in your apparently empty brain.
I believe in climate change but I think the term "global warming" is highly misleading. Despite the warming trend I prefer to say "massively increased weather volatility" as demonstrated by hurricane Sandy.

Over the next couple of decades it appears that one of the major impacts on the Lower Mainland will be dramatically increased annual rainfall (Charlotte Islands style). I probably won't be alive to see Richmond, Delta, False Creek, Gastown, etc., flooded but I do think it's going to happen eventually.

You know as much about climate change as timber. You know as much about analysis as the '125 renowned scientist'.

No comment on your double standard eh?

Long term analysis of RE data = meaningless. Long term analysis of weather data = priceless.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:36 pm

You know as much about climate change as timber. You know as much about analysis as the '125 renowned scientist'.

Long term analysis of RE data = meaningless. Long term analysis of weather data = priceless.
Oh dear, here we go again, let me try and explain it to you as simply as I can. That last comment of mine (above) is my impression of your idea of analysis, not a definition of mine. You casually dismiss multiple long-term studies of RE market data but you enthusiastically recognize the significance of long-term weather data.

A double standard exists when you use one set of rules for one analysis but reject those rules for another. Get it???

Even if I use much bigger print and smaller words I don't think I can make it any clearer. Sorry JT, you are simply to dense to debate with but I might continue challenging you just to see what other absurdities you can come up with? :lol:

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:41 am

'Highly misleading? Apparently, you're so strange that you won't accept scientific evidence. Everything taht comes out of your mouth has no credibility.

Long term analysis of RE data = meaningless. Long term analysis of weather data = priceless

Oh dear, here we go again, let me try and explain it to you as simply as I can. That last comment of mine (above) is my impression of your idea of analysis, not a definition of mine. You casually dismiss multiple long-term studies of RE market data but you enthusiastically recognize the significance of long-term weather data.

A double standard exists when you use one set of rules for one analysis but reject those rules for another. Get it???

Even if I use much bigger print and smaller words I don't think I can make it any clearer. Sorry JT, you are simply to dense to debate with but I might continue challenging you just to see what other absurdities you can come up with? :lol:
Like I said, you know as much about analysis as the '125 renowned scientist'.
Attachments
UK Met Office Decadal-average-temperatures-ls2.jpg
UK Met Office Decadal-average-temperatures-ls2.jpg (54.42 KiB) Viewed 7206 times

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Everything taht comes out of your mouth has no credibility.
Whereas everything "taht" comes out of your mouth is a pearl of wisdom. :lol:

Oh stop! My sides are hurting! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, what about that double standard you prefer not to address?

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Everything taht comes out of your mouth has no credibility.
Whereas everything "taht" comes out of your mouth is a pearl of wisdom. :lol:

Oh stop! My sides are hurting!

BTW, what about that double standard you prefer not to address?
Could it be your head taht's hurting? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll make it simple enough even for you.

Amsterdam study NOT RELEVANT for Vancouver. Just as Las Vegas NOT RELEVANT to Vancouver. Global warming RELEVANT to Vancouver and every part of the world via regional and micro-climate.

What double standard?
Attachments
co2-temp.jpg
co2-temp.jpg (244.8 KiB) Viewed 7148 times

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:33 pm

Amsterdam study NOT RELEVANT for Vancouver. Just as Las Vegas NOT RELEVANT to Vancouver. Global warming RELEVANT to Vancouver and every part of the world via regional and micro-climate.
This old straw man of yours has already been addressed in my earlier posts. The multiple studies which I referenced were from around the world where the correlation between prices/rents/incomes has been clearly demonstrated. you cling to the foolish notion that "it's different here" and when I point to previous collapses in Vancouver home prices you resort to the tired old line " it's different this time".

It's pretty obvious that you have the same sort of brainwashed, firmly closed mind as some fanatically religious nut-bars. No amount of evidence will sway you from your fixation on the idea of making easy money from RE - all the time every time.

Oh, listen to that rumbling sound, it must be Santa coming with your box of money. :lol:

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:31 am

Tune in this Saturday on Knowledge Network. James Balog's documentary 'Extreme Ice' is showing. Its about the melting of glaciers and ice sheets.

“Extreme Ice Survey. The Extreme Ice Survey (EIS) tells the story of a planet in flux. With innovative methodology that combines time-lapse imagery with cutting-edge science, EIS is the world's most extensive ground-based photographic glacier study to date. Nearly a million time-lapse frames reveal the extraordinary retreat of glaciers and ice sheets due to climate change, providing scientists with vital insights on glacier dynamics. As of January 2012, 27 cameras are shooting at 18 glaciers in Greenland, Iceland, Alaska, Canada, the Nepalese Himalaya by Mount Everest, and the Rocky Mountains of the U.S.; previously, as many as 43 cameras have been in the field at once. The cameras shoot year-round, every half hour of daylight. EIS supplements the time-lapse record by occasionally repeating shots at fixed locations in Iceland, Bolivia, the Canadian province of British Columbia and the French and Swiss Alps.

A feature-length film,[8] PBS documentary, National Geographic book, National Public Radio and numerous magazines and newspapers have featured the EIS team. In addition, EIS spreads the word of climate change and shrinking glaciers through public talks, a touring exhibition and displays in public venues, including Denver International Airport. EIS has appeared before Congress and in multimedia presentations at science and policy conferences around the world.”

http://www.jamesbalog.com/portfolios/ex ... ce-survey/

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:34 am

Jimtan, here is what I posted - Again!
Geyser wrote:
You appear to have repeatedly misinterpreted my statement as a denial of the global warming trend. Please have somebody with better comprehension read my statement and attempt to explain it to you. :roll:

Whilst I have confirmed my belief in the overall long term warming trend I prefer the term "climate change" or "increased volatility" because otherwise some of the slow learners will seize upon the occasional cold snap as evidence of the lack of global warming.

There are plenty of people who can only comprehend things that they have witnessed over the last decade or so, much as you have demonstrated with your beliefs about home price trends. It's a common condition which usually accompanies a low IQ.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:23 pm

Why didn't you say so in the first place? Didn't you learn in high school to write concisely and precisely? How are we expected to know what you are thinking when you say things like this?
All very interesting but, if I follow your highly questionable logic on real estate prices, yesterday's snow storm conclusively disproved the global warming theory. Your massive confirmation bias isn't causing you to apply double standards is it?
Really! I put you on ignore in the old days. I should have done the same with your new moniker. Changing names means nothing when you don't change yourself!

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:09 am

Why didn't you say so in the first place? Didn't you learn in high school to write concisely and precisely? How are we expected to know what you are thinking when you say things like this?
All very interesting but, if I follow your highly questionable logic on real estate prices, yesterday's snow storm conclusively disproved the global warming theory. Your massive confirmation bias isn't causing you to apply double standards is it?
Really! I put you on ignore in the old days. I should have done the same with your new moniker. Changing names means nothing when you don't change yourself!
I continue to find it hard to believe you are that incapable of reading a statement like the one which you just cited.

The opening sentence included the words " if I follow your highly questionable logic on real estate prices". In other words, if I used the same seriously flawed logic you apply to the RE market and applied it to the global warming debate I would conclude (incorrectly) that one unexpected snowstorm disproves global warming.

My point, which I have exhaustively tried to get through your thick head, is that you seem to understand the value of centuries of global weather data but you casually dismiss centuries of long term data on RE prices and prefer to focus only on the past decade, presumably because it handily supports your obvious confirmation bias.

Please show this thread to your ESL teacher and ask to have it explained in your mother tongue. I give up! :roll:

BTW, I encourage you to put me on ignore, my preference is not to engage you in any more pointless debate. I will continue to expose your bone-headed logic for the benefit of other folks who might otherwise mistake your input for uninformed ramblings rather than the deliberately misleading nonesense which I suspect it is.

Because it seems unlikely that anybody could really be as dumb as you pretend, I'm beginning to think that you may actually be an average guy but with a sleazy motive. Could it be that your absurdly flawed logic (in support of "prices going up forever") is motivated by a desire to try and offset the growing chorus of bears. Perhaps you are currently trying to dump your leasehold condo into a collapsing market and seeing all the bearish evidence presented on this forum distresses you. That really would explain everything.

jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:37 am

Tune in this Saturday on Knowledge Network. James Balog's documentary 'Extreme Ice' is showing. Its about the melting of glaciers and ice sheets.

“Extreme Ice Survey. The Extreme Ice Survey (EIS) tells the story of a planet in flux. With innovative methodology that combines time-lapse imagery with cutting-edge science, EIS is the world's most extensive ground-based photographic glacier study to date. Nearly a million time-lapse frames reveal the extraordinary retreat of glaciers and ice sheets due to climate change, providing scientists with vital insights on glacier dynamics. As of January 2012, 27 cameras are shooting at 18 glaciers in Greenland, Iceland, Alaska, Canada, the Nepalese Himalaya by Mount Everest, and the Rocky Mountains of the U.S.; previously, as many as 43 cameras have been in the field at once. The cameras shoot year-round, every half hour of daylight. EIS supplements the time-lapse record by occasionally repeating shots at fixed locations in Iceland, Bolivia, the Canadian province of British Columbia and the French and Swiss Alps.

A feature-length film,[8] PBS documentary, National Geographic book, National Public Radio and numerous magazines and newspapers have featured the EIS team. In addition, EIS spreads the word of climate change and shrinking glaciers through public talks, a touring exhibition and displays in public venues, including Denver International Airport. EIS has appeared before Congress and in multimedia presentations at science and policy conferences around the world.”

http://www.jamesbalog.com/portfolios/ex ... ce-survey/

timber2012
Real Estate Talker

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:51 am

brrrrrr.... it's cold outside today.

I thought the globe was warming?! What's up with that?
George Carlin once said "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”