This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

Islandguy
Real Estate Talker

Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:18 pm

Hi skypatch and thanks for the welcome. I am anticipating investing in real estate for my primary residence once the market pulls back. Right now I am investing in the stock market while I remain a *renter*. Not a bad thing here as Victoria is way too pricy for what you get. $400,000 shacks don't appeal to me, so I'll bide my time.
Never been in the investment angle of real estate before but hope so down the road. I will be looking up island when the time comes.

2KTNGO
Real Estate Talker

Hello

Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:07 pm

Hi everyone,

Live across the border, like Vancouver very much, hence a small downtown investment (yes, yes, I know it is overpriced, likely to fall to zero, will be dot.gone, etc.). On a flipside, it is a nice place to have some digs in!

Thank you for thoughts and advice, everyone!

Best,

drouillm
Site Admin

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:17 pm

since im a moderator now i believe it's time to introduce myself (finally)

1) Age / Location / Occupation
2) What real estate do you own?
3) What's your view on the market going forward? Buyer or seller? Which parts of the market?
4) Anything else?

1) early 20's/richmond and surrey (im a man of no fixed address)/ in my 4th year as a real estate salesperson/property manager and have been a part time messageboard monkey for even longer :P

2) I own an apt in Point Grey which I rent for now, but plan to occupy when I go to law school at UBC in the next few years (the home is so convenient to ubc... i have no choice but to get accepted there). prior to the point grey home i owned a point grey co-op apt which i sold for a really nice gain (learned a lot about co-ops in the process). family owns 14 properties in and around the fraser valley area (all purchased in 2001-02) which i manage

3) people on this forum continually give well thought opinions on why they feel the market has pretty much 'peaked' which are great to read. im not so sure myself - currently we still have very low supply (compared to years ago) in much of the GVRD and fraser valley (little concerned about downtown condos though) and until that starts to substantially change i think we're in for 'more of the same'. unless interest rates raise substantially i think there's enough money 'on the sidelines' ready to jump in should prices fall (maintaining a 'status quo' so to speak)

4) if you're a new lurker you're invited to post your questions/comments and join in on the discussion! we will treat you well :). don't be intimidated by the occasional skirmishes seen here - it's all 'harmless' in the end. if it gets too excessive it will be 'moderated' anyways ;)

drouillm
Site Admin

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:45 am

note: just a reminder to everyone as to what goes on, this thread is for introducing and welcoming new members only (otherwise it wouldn't be sticky!). start a new thread when you've introduced yourself!

and to those engaged in the 'off topic' discussion (you know who you are ;) ) nothing was deleted, it all simply moves to a spot that made more sense - the offtopic forum

drouillm
Site Admin

Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:10 pm

guildford -- close enough :D

i read your posts about having two grow ops. what a drag - did you do credit checks on those tenants? maybe it would have filtered the 'dead beats' out

drouillm
Site Admin

Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:01 pm

Haw

We're still in the "welcoming" phase

1HappyInvestor
Real Estate Talker

Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:56 pm

Real Estate Owned: Just bought a Modular home in Surrey.( cleaning up for next couple weeks ) Going to list again and see what happens.

My wife and i Live in Merritt and are just getting into investing.

I used to work in the building where Ozzies offices are located in downtown. Chose to move away from city for my health and to save my Marriage.

We used to live on the Island and i know most of the central island very well so if anyone has questions about properties and what the areas are like drop me a line i'd be happy to answer any questions. I also have friends in the area who would be willing to take a look at a home and let me know about the neighbourhoods.Nanaimo/Parksville/Nanoose/Qualicum(all areas ) North as far as Campbell River my wife used to live in that area.

That's about all i can think of.

Good hunting to all. :)

eldon_siemens
Real Estate Talker

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:35 pm

What is a modular home? Is it the same as a Mobile home?
You will see some Realtors defining a mobile home as a Modular in their MLS comments, but that is just to make it sound more upscale.

In my experience, the correct definition of a modular is a house that is built in discrete modules in a factory, complete with wiring, plumbing, flooring, finished drywall, and even including roof trusses & shingles. It is then shipped to a building site where the foundation or basement has been prepared in advance, and the modules are set in place and fastened together. The final installation merely involves finishing the shingles, siding, etc around seams where the sections fit together and doing touch-up repairs. To an average person, the finished product is indistinguishable in appearance and quality from a house that was custom-built on site in the normal manner. The best part is that the owner can move into his new home within a week from delivery of the first module.

GVR
Real Estate Talker

Re: Introduce Yourself to the Forum!

Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:04 am

3) What's your view on the market going forward? Buyer or seller? Which parts of the market?
4) Anything else?

1) Mid 30ies, Vancouver, Lawyer (not a real estate lawyer though)
2) East Vancouver house, with two rental units
3) I am confident that in 25 years it is going to be up, and that by that time my mortgage will be paid off, almost entirely by my tenants. In the shorter term, I don't really care, and I won't even pretend to be able to time the market. I'll just keep an eye out for deals.
4) No!

2KTNGO
Real Estate Talker

Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:04 pm

howdy GVR! :lol:

GVR so wisely stated:
In the shorter term, I don't really care, and I won't even pretend to be able to time the market. I'll just keep an eye out for deals.
.....very sharp!... :lol:
HTM, one of these days you will tell us why the heck "Vambo rools", eh?

eldon_siemens
Real Estate Talker

Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:30 pm

HTM,
The first time I saw that tag line I thought it was "Rambo drools". I didn't know if you were bragging or complaining :wink:

brandonc123
Real Estate Talker

Wed May 04, 2005 4:58 pm

Hi there, My name is Brandon Clark. I am 18 going on 19 come December. I was born in Vancouver and live in Maple Ridge. Right now I own no real estate but am seriously looking into purchasing some in the future. Starting September I will be working towards a diploma in Urban Land Ecomnics and I then wish to continue my studies and achieve a degree in Buisness Real Estate at UBC.

I just thought I would ask you guys some questions, because it seems investing in real estate are your career's or hobbies.

What books do you highly recomend? I have read Creating Wealth by Robert G Allen, and Rich Dad Poor Dad. Are their any seminars you think would be worth while attending, obviously with a realistic price range for an 18 year old student. I am lucky to know a few people who have been very succesful in real estate and I am continually asking them questions. Would it be a good idea to make a habit of browsing the MLS every night, to see whats out their and notice trends?

Also if anyone here has taken the DULE (Diploma in Urban Land Economics) course and would like to share with me their experiences with the program that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

hanko
Real Estate Talker

Mon May 09, 2005 6:12 pm

4) Anything else?

Hi to everyone:
1) 40s / East Van / Software Development
2) A Vancouver special
3) Prices will continue to go up due to migration and international immigration. Vancouver (I mean Lower Mainland) is probably the best place to live in Canada.
4) Would like to learn more about RE in Vancouver and its surrounding communities
Hanko

theguy
Real Estate Talker

I'm new here

Tue May 10, 2005 11:10 pm

Hello,

I just came across this site, and I've been reading it for the past couple hours. It seems good enough to join and throw my 2 cents in now and again.

I'm 26 years old and I own 2 houses in Burnaby and one apartment downtown.. 7 years ago when kids my age were out blowing money on CD's, dope, and stupidly expensive cars, I was saving and investing in stocks. I have made some heatlly returns and now I am soley invested in real estate.

It seems that every message board has one moron on it. This board is no different. Since this is my first post, I don;t want to make enimies quit yet, plus it should be obvious, so I'll just leave it at that.

See ya'll around.

drouillm
Site Admin

Wed May 11, 2005 8:43 pm

I just finished the DULE a month ago. I don't think it will help the typical real estate investor - it is more for people employed in the real estate industry. You can learn the practical knowledge you need through other (cheaper) courses/books.