This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

dsouza

Re:

Wed May 21, 2008 11:19 pm

i am new in this field . i need some help . thanx

Johnny Horton
Site Admin

Re: Introduce Yourself to the Forum!

Sun May 25, 2008 11:02 am

Welcome dsouza. We have lots of fun around here. :mrgreen:
i am new in this field . i need some help . thanx
Well if you need help that's, ok. We are glad to help you.
Some people on this Forum are beyond help.
:mrgreen:

mbp
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:50 pm

1) Age 45 / Location Port Moody BC / Occupation Software Engineer
2) What real estate do you own? None, currently renting but watching the market
3) What's your view on the market going forward? I think the housing market will stabilize itself in the next year. Prices can't go up forever (or can it?).
Buyer or seller? buyer but not immediately, depending on how the market goes in the next few months
4) Anything else? Nope

newnin
Real Estate Talker

Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:05 pm

Hello everyone!
1) Age: 22 / Location: CHWK / Occupation: Student/Bank teller
2) What real estate do you own? One 1 br apt. in chilliwack that I rent out
3) What's your view on the market going forward? I think we're switching from a sellers to a buyers market and the market will be stagnant for the next 5yrs (talking more about my area) Buyer or seller? Holding on to the apt for as long as I can.. and looking to buy a primary residence by the end of the year.
4) Anything else: I'm new to this and ready to learn! :wink:

Johnny Horton
Site Admin

Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:37 am

Whoops, welcome kcowan, mbp, and newmin.
ALOHA

pianoexcellence
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:33 pm

Guess I need to update.

Still a musician /Abbotsford
Sold Squamish property in May, Currently live in Abbotsford Townhouse
Bear, especially on strata, especially, especially on LEAKY Strata

It's fun being here and learning. I'm getting really sick of piano forums. You think bulls vs bears is heavy? Try Chopin vs Liszt!

RiskArb
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:43 am

I'm getting really sick of piano forums. You think bulls vs bears is heavy? Try Chopin vs Liszt!
Where are these piano forums? I'd love to check them out. I used to post on a rachmaninoff forum awhile back on yahoo-groups and that was pretty dry

Any recordings on youtube by chance? Would love to have a listen no matter the genre. I noodle around on the piano myself. here's one of my Grieg recordings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxDdlwgBBtw

..... screwed it up which is precisely why i'm sticking to my day job!

pianoexcellence
Real Estate Talker

Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:57 am

RA

"noodle" is not the word I would use...although, you did play with a supreme lack of tension. One curiosity; Why did you use an arm-weight touch on your Chopin, and a fingery touch on your Grieg? it may have been the camera angle that fooled me, but I was wondering what your strategy was. You certainly appeared to lead with your upper arm more enthusiastically on the former. Who did you study with in Vancouver.

I actually began as a classical pianist. After completing my ARCT, I went on to pursue Jazz. More recently, the call of the Well-Tempered-Clavier has come upon me, and I have spent some time with the grand master. I may post some preludes and fugues from book 1 on youtube.

Thanks for the video link. I really enjoyed the playing.

I go on the pianoworld forums.

There's a lot of wanna bees there, (everyone there can play La campanella) (Most can play Rach 3) :roll: But no one will post recordings...
There is also a wide variety of discussion. Your enthusiasm will certainly grow. You may find yourself calling Dr. Terrance Dawson or Bernie Duerksen for some lessons to go from very good to great.

My 2 cents

-P-

Thompson
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:37 pm

I'm getting really sick of piano forums. You think bulls vs bears is heavy? Try Chopin vs Liszt!
Where are these piano forums? I'd love to check them out. I used to post on a rachmaninoff forum awhile back on yahoo-groups and that was pretty dry

Any recordings on youtube by chance? Would love to have a listen no matter the genre. I noodle around on the piano myself. here's one of my Grieg recordings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxDdlwgBBtw

..... screwed it up which is precisely why i'm sticking to my day job!
RiskArb, your piano (your performance, of cause) is good, ..as good as my ping pong :D. How many years practice do you have? ...Excellent!! :shock:

Thompson
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:47 pm

I actually began as a classical pianist. After completing my ARCT, I went on to pursue Jazz. More recently, the call of the Well-Tempered-Clavier has come upon me, and I have spent some time with the grand master. I may post some preludes and fugues from book 1 on youtube.
Hey, Pianoexcellence. How about you teach my son to pass his ARCT (he is grade 10 in piano), I give you all animal pictures I have for free? Since no one in this fourm appreciate my "free donation" except you. ..... Deal? :shock: .....Deal. :lol:

pianoexcellence
Real Estate Talker

Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:40 am

Done,

My fee is 60 animal pictures per hour, in advance for each month.

RiskArb
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:17 pm

RA
One curiosity; Why did you use an arm-weight touch on your Chopin, and a fingery touch on your Grieg? it may have been the camera angle that fooled me, but I was wondering what your strategy was. You certainly appeared to lead with your upper arm more enthusiastically on the former. Who did you study with in Vancouver.
PA - i honestly can't answer the first question. i've never consciously distinguished between fingery and weighty..... first priority for me is still hitting the right notes and getting the sound "more or less" .... and thats usu the stage i'd put it on video if at all. i did a read up on this topic after you posted it and will certainly make a bunch of refinements going forward!

I studied with Mary Tickner at UBC although i use the word "study" very loosely. Was always her worst student, never practiced and she ripped into me (rightfully so) for showing up to the odd class not even having touched the piano since the last one. Who was your teacher btw? (not that I know many names to be honest)

Thanks for the video link. I really enjoyed the playing.
bach and mozart you only appreciate too late in life i find. thanks for listening and definitely look forward to anything you upload, whether it be jazz or old-school!

There's a lot of wanna bees there, (everyone there can play La campanella) (Most can play Rach 3) :roll: But no one will post recordings...
haha!!! you're so right about all the Rach3 'performers'....... but such is the internet RETalks included ;) . not enough recordings versus the amt of discourse. and i found the site really really dry and ppl getting a little overanalytical for the pieces they were working on. 99% of the pianist population (myself included) just need to practice left hand arpeggios/scales and should save the artistic impression gabbledy-gook until after we've got the piece technically nailed down. IMHO

RiskArb, your piano (your performance, of cause) is good, ..as good as my ping pong :D. How many years practice do you have? ...Excellent!! :shock:
Thanks Thompson. I was beaten with a stick for about 8 years when i was a kid..... just started practicing again about 3 years ago. I figure anyone with an ounce of focus/discipline could far surpass me with about 3-4 years of intensive study/practice. i totally regret not getting my head into the game earlier. As for your son, I don't know if he's at risk of quitting, but if you sense thats the case (I know many that quit after grade 10 and don't follow through w ARCTs) let him dabble in a big piece way out of his league. Grade 10 and even ARCT fare suck (not to mention the whole classical music education system) and so nothing wrong with a little carrot to feed some inspiration. good luck!

Farside
Real Estate Talker

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:18 am

Hello everyone,
I’ve just joined the forum and so I’m busy assimilating all this info, finding out who is who etc.

I don’t live in Canada but my wife is Canadian and we plan on moving our little family “home” around this time next year.

I figure it’s a good time for me to start learning about the BC housing market as we will look to buy a house at some stage.

It may seem mad but our target is Squamish so if anyone has info on this town then I would be very grateful.

I have been curious as to how this global real estate slow down was affecting Vancouver. It seems like the slide has begun only a few months ago?

BTW, what’s with all the condos? You’re blessed with all this space and yet insist on living on top of each other.

I just got hold of the BCStats housing sales data to try and get a feel as to where on the curve Vancouver is. Is there a better place to get more up-to-date data?

They only have yearly data of average sales and I was hoping for monthly median prices. According to their stats, Vancouver hasn’t yet peaked but this forum indicates otherwise.
A recession is when your next door neighbor looses his job and his house.
A depression is when you loose your job and your house.

pianoexcellence
Real Estate Talker

Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:15 pm

I think most people Quit at Gr. 10 not because the ARCT pieces are so hard, but because of all the extra theoretical work that needs to be done to complete the diploma. mostly it is people who want to get a credential for employment reasons...music teachers, church musicians, etc.

I agree with RA that the pieces on the list are not always what I wish I could have played, but it's only 7 pieces for an exam...learn them, then learn what you really want to learn.

I also agree that the classical music learning system has it's flaws, but it's a lot better than all those people who call themselves "Jazz or Pop or Improv" teachers because they have no real training.

Anyone with an ARCT or even Gr. 10 can switch into Jazz very very easily. I know this from experience, having taught more than 10,000 lessons (over the last 6-7 years), to musicians on both sides who want to cross over
A good Pop or Jazz musician will take years to achieve a high level in classical music.

For this reason, I think that it is better to start with the classics, walk the well-trodden path to the peak, then when you graduate, high level playing in any Genre is only a few months away...not years and years, and it is a step down, not up.

So Thompson, Good for your son. I hope he keep up the hard work...Gr. 10 is no slouchy exam.

admin
Site Admin

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:01 pm

Hi pianoexcellence et al, sorry to interrupt, but can I suggest you continue your discussion in the Off Topic forum:
http://www.realestatetalks.com/viewforum.php?f=5

Thanks!
Follow Talks on Twitter: @RETALKS