The real problem with Vancouver’s outrageous house prices

British Columbia Real Estate issues, advice, questions.

Moderator: admin

Re: The real problem with Vancouver’s outrageous house price

Postby instigator » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:43 am

Step off the high horse. Crackland is all of metro van all the way to chilliwack lol

Dont see prices falling around here either.

It's ironic you call surrey a crackhouse when you toot the virtues of. Main and Hastings lol

If you love Hastings thats your prerogative but I love surrey and we are all entitled to our opinion and choice of area to live.
instigator
Real Estate Talker

Postby westcoastfella » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:08 am

Far more insidious is the impact housing unaffordability is having on employers and the broader economy. You hear stories of smart, young people leaving for jobs elsewhere. At the same time smart, young people from elsewhere aren't coming here for jobs. The price of real estate and cost of living are too high, while pay is simply too low relative to other parts of the country. Business in Vancouver, a local newsweekly, delves into the dilemma in its latest issue with the story "Home truths hurt talent search."

This is undoubtedly true - I posted something about this the other week, the number of resume's I see at work from people currently in Vancouver looking to leave, or that have already left is pretty surprising. The simple fact is they make more in Toronto and pay less for everything around them, and when you're raising a family and have no tangible ties to Vancouver, it can sometimes be an easy decision to make. My observations are anecdotal for sure, I'm one guy in one industry. But the people I hire are technical engineers earning 70-120K a year (so 60-90 in Vancouver) - not the sort that Vancouver wants to be losing in droves.

My brother works in the film industry in Vancouver, and after a few years of nonstop employment, no longer has steady work. He said that there is nearly nothing filming now (which is understandable given its the summer), but more alarming, there is little on the horizon for the fall. 4 regular TV shows film there in the winter, and a handful of movies - but not enough to employ the industry in any significant way, he estimated 40-50% of the usual workers are looking for work. He is leaving this summer to go to Toronto or Montreal, or possibly Europe. The high dollar is stopping some projects from coming here at all, and a lot of others are moving east.

I'm not too surprised that the local Vancouver media has not picked up on it, given the negativity of the implication - I'm sure they'll finally start reporting on it when its too late.
westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Postby leftside » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:40 am

People can afford to live here. No problem. Rents are cheap. Rents are probably cheaper than Toronto. Take a look on craigslist.
leftside
Real Estate Talker

Postby eyesthebye » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:57 am

westcoastfella wrote:
Far more insidious is the impact housing unaffordability is having on employers and the broader economy. You hear stories of smart, young people leaving for jobs elsewhere. At the same time smart, young people from elsewhere aren't coming here for jobs. The price of real estate and cost of living are too high, while pay is simply too low relative to other parts of the country. Business in Vancouver, a local newsweekly, delves into the dilemma in its latest issue with the story "Home truths hurt talent search."

This is undoubtedly true - I posted something about this the other week, the number of resume's I see at work from people currently in Vancouver looking to leave, or that have already left is pretty surprising. The simple fact is they make more in Toronto and pay less for everything around them, and when you're raising a family and have no tangible ties to Vancouver, it can sometimes be an easy decision to make. My observations are anecdotal for sure, I'm one guy in one industry. But the people I hire are technical engineers earning 70-120K a year (so 60-90 in Vancouver) - not the sort that Vancouver wants to be losing in droves.

My brother works in the film industry in Vancouver, and after a few years of nonstop employment, no longer has steady work. He said that there is nearly nothing filming now (which is understandable given its the summer), but more alarming, there is little on the horizon for the fall. 4 regular TV shows film there in the winter, and a handful of movies - but not enough to employ the industry in any significant way, he estimated 40-50% of the usual workers are looking for work. He is leaving this summer to go to Toronto or Montreal, or possibly Europe. The high dollar is stopping some projects from coming here at all, and a lot of others are moving east.

I'm not too surprised that the local Vancouver media has not picked up on it, given the negativity of the implication - I'm sure they'll finally start reporting on it when its too late.

wait until they spend a winter there - they'll wish they never gave up. Isn't that why you're still here after moving to Toronto more than a year ago? Regret? Just can't give up on Vancouver can ya?
the cure for higher prices is moving to a destination with lower prices
eyesthebye
Real Estate Talker

Postby tapioca » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:01 am

I"m sure these stories are true. However, on the flipside are people - like coworker at current job, who wants to move ahead in her career but doesn't want to move to Toronto. Vancouverites can be surprisingly stubborn in the face of adversity. A lot of my friends are priced out, but still they don't talk about leaving Van - they just talk about moving further east (MR etc.)

And for all the people who leave the city looking for opportunities, there are still people coming here because they think there are more opportunities in Van!

I guess it's that old thing - what are you prepared to give up? what is really important to you? For some living in this city is more important than a high salary or job. Honestly, if I was to leave Van, it would not be to go to Toronto or SK or anywhere like that. I'd go overseas. Other Canadian cities are not very appealing - the climate is awful in most of them.

having said all that, I am now a bear and I believe this market will start coming down.
tapioca
Real Estate Talker

Postby instigator » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:57 am

Money not important.health, climate, sense of well being is. I often hear from friends who move around for work they would take less salary to live here. Feel sorry for her, the husband drags her along to his job placements. However he did just get placed in south Africa which could be interesting but just for not too long. Before he had to live in yellowknife and other northern areas.
instigator
Real Estate Talker

Postby registered » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:02 am

The health care in BC is appalling, it just finished raining for almost seven months, and the people here? See above. Any Canadian, or North American, who believes lack of snow makes them a better person in a better place is a certifiable moron.
the dogs bark but the caravan moves on
registered
Real Estate Talker

Postby tdma800 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:05 am

Rents are cheap if you know where to look, Yes, that guy was right. craigslist.

and if you have a kid, you get a rental subsidy unless you have a high income, so what, its a good place to live here

Sure you can make buckets of money in Toronto. is it a nice place to live? no.
tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Postby westcoastfella » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:42 am

People can afford to live here. No problem. Rents are cheap. Rents are probably cheaper than Toronto. Take a look on craigslist.

Most people making that kind of money have little desire to rent.
westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Postby westcoastfella » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:54 am

eyesthebye wrote:wait until they spend a winter there - they'll wish they never gave up. Isn't that why you're still here after moving to Toronto more than a year ago? Regret? Just can't give up on Vancouver can ya?

I still come here every 4 months or so for work, and still own my place in Burnaby. No, I have no regrets about leaving - cold winters and snow don't bother me, I was born and raised outside of Vancouver - I'd rather have cold sunny days in the winter vs slightly-less-cold rain. The job I have now, and the career path I have now, would have been unavailable to me had I stayed in Vancouver.

tdma800 wrote:Sure you can make buckets of money in Toronto. is it a nice place to live? no.

have you lived in Toronto before? Probably not.

"Buckets of money" is probably an overstatement, its not NY. But for most industries, you make more in TO than you do in Vancouver.

tapioca wrote:And for all the people who leave the city looking for opportunities, there are still people coming here because they think there are more opportunities in Van!

I have no doubt that's true tapioca - like I said, I'm just one guy in one industry that sees an interesting trend in the resumes that I get. People move around for all kinds of reasons, and people still go to Vancouver for the lifestyle and jobs that are there.
westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Postby instigator » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:19 pm

That is correct.it's the Westcoast lifestyle. A Rugged natural playground with international flavour. Keeps people comin
instigator
Real Estate Talker

Postby eyesthebye » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:33 pm

westcoastfella wrote:
eyesthebye wrote:wait until they spend a winter there - they'll wish they never gave up. Isn't that why you're still here after moving to Toronto more than a year ago? Regret? Just can't give up on Vancouver can ya?

I still come here every 4 months or so for work, and still own my place in Burnaby. No, I have no regrets about leaving - cold winters and snow don't bother me, I was born and raised outside of Vancouver - I'd rather have cold sunny days in the winter vs slightly-less-cold rain. The job I have now, and the career path I have now, would have been unavailable to me had I stayed in Vancouver.

tdma800 wrote:Sure you can make buckets of money in Toronto. is it a nice place to live? no.

have you lived in Toronto before? Probably not.

"Buckets of money" is probably an overstatement, its not NY. But for most industries, you make more in TO than you do in Vancouver.

tapioca wrote:And for all the people who leave the city looking for opportunities, there are still people coming here because they think there are more opportunities in Van!

I have no doubt that's true tapioca - like I said, I'm just one guy in one industry that sees an interesting trend in the resumes that I get. People move around for all kinds of reasons, and people still go to Vancouver for the lifestyle and jobs that are there.

westcoast. I think you were the Canucks jinx. Now that you're gone I see years of Stanley Cup wins in our future :lol:

Yes, I lived in Toronto. I spent 16 years living in southern ON. And even went back to McMaster from out west for my post graduate degree. I can't stand the place...I'd sooner slit my throat then live in that crap hole. I lived in Ontario, Toronto, the prairies and now Vancouver. I would fight like a demon to not move from this place. To each his/her own though, right? I 'm sure there are lots that don't share my enthusiasm for Vancouver
the cure for higher prices is moving to a destination with lower prices
eyesthebye
Real Estate Talker

Postby westcoastfella » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:47 pm

westcoast. I think you were the Canucks jinx. Now that you're gone I see years of Stanley Cup wins in our future :lol:

I have actually been in Vancouver for the finals - I wouldn't miss this ride for anything 8)

I know you lived out east eyes - I was responding to tdma800. But yes, to each their own - I personally could never tie myself to a place so much that I'd "slit my throat before leaving it", usually if you leave a place its for a good reason. Vancouver certainly has its charms, but by no means is TO devoid of life and happiness. I may find myself back on the westcoast eventually, as a place to retire - thankfully with my job here, I'll be in a position to do so a lot sooner.
westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker

Postby tdma800 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:38 pm

westcoastfella wrote:

Most people making that kind of money have little desire to rent.

There are plenty of rentals available in Vancouver and Toronto that are over $1500 per month. Not necessarily luxury condos either.
tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Postby silverman » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:21 pm

vanreal wrote:Surrey is just one big giant crack house and is riddled with gangs. It is also butt ugly!!

vanreal, I can't believe how stupid and ignorant you are.
But then again, if you love Hastings and Main... you'll hate Surrey.
silverman
Real Estate Talker

PreviousNext

Return to British Columbia Real Estate