This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

jesse1
Real Estate Talker

Re: Had lunch with Semven, Thompson & Horton.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:19 am

Yeah prices down 10%. Or is it only Vancouver SFH that counts.

The only bleating I hear about prices are from people who want specific neighbourhoods. Others aren't saying too much.
There is no shame in overpaying

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Fri May 09, 2014 2:07 pm

Thompson, just tell RJ that PTK was as low as $1.58 today. :lol:
Hoo~Cudda~Not~Nod~ed????? :-)

InvestorRelations
Real Estate Talker

Fri May 09, 2014 2:21 pm

It's almost as if he was trying to dump his shares to the readers of this board right at the peak.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Fri May 09, 2014 5:59 pm

I never thought of that!
The old "pump and dump"! :shock:

You are sharp! :lol:

Dragonslayer
Real Estate Talker

Sun May 18, 2014 1:04 pm

hey Whip,Tom, Thompson

Semven says Fri the 30th @ 1:00 is looking pretty good.....

thinktom
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Tue May 27, 2014 7:07 pm

I'm in!

rofina
Real Estate Talker

Wed May 28, 2014 7:00 am

Does whipmaster actually show his face in public after the things he posts here?

That would be a lunch to remember.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Fri May 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Rofina:
Does whipmaster actually show his face in public after the things he posts here?

.... ya...c'mon, aren't we just having fun on the forum kidding back and forth?
I don't know anything about anything. I don't have graphs, or charts, or any concept of finance, nor do I understand real estate, or simple economics, or anything....who would ever take me seriously? I've only been proven c.o.r.r.e.c.t. back in 2003.

Besides, none of you Fawkers were invited...hahahaha. :mrgreen:

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Sat May 31, 2014 1:59 pm

It's hard to argue with somebody who has been consistently right for soooooo long. :lol:
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Sat May 31, 2014 5:57 pm

It's hard to argue with somebody who has been consistently right for soooooo long.

.....yah? you've been right just as long. 8)

Geezer:
"In the long run real estate will always go up"

:lol:

rofina
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:00 am

Geyser wrote:
It's hard to argue with somebody who has been consistently right for soooooo long. :lol:

Credit is due, where credit is due. You deserve some geyser, but all whipmaster has done is placed a 50/50 bet that happened to be right.

He's never explained his position and chooses whatever flavour of the year explanation for why prices are as high as they are. The latest non disprovable meme has been foreign investment, and he will harp on that until something better comes along.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:17 pm

In fairness to Whippy, he has stated that RE prices do move in cycles and he has also indicated that his "real estate always goes up" comments relate to the long term only. He is open to the probability of a big correction.

I am also a long term bull but I do think this bull run must be nearing it's end. I freely admit I might be wrong because I started leaning towards a short term bearish view a few years ago and dumped some condo interest at what remains a record price per sq. ft. So that worked well for me but if it had been a SFH I would be sorry to have missed the last few years of increases.

The only real truths in my mind are that the market moves in cycles, sometimes violent swings occur, but over the long term, Vancouver's prices will increase. The problem emerges when we try to define "long term". After the next inevitable correction will the return to the previous high (in real dollars) take months, years or decades?

I don't know and I don't think Whippy claims to know but I got cold feet a few years ago while he kept the faith. I think that given his acceptance of the cyclical nature of the market, he has a better batting record than me. If the market collapses tomorrow and he doesn't see it coming, at least he was calling for more increases closer to the top than I was. The main difference between our forecasting style is that I lost my nerve first.

Bottom line - nobody really knows, we are all just guessing.

Finally, in defence of his bear thumping, for about a decade the bulls on this forum were constantly mocked and abused, now that most of the most insulting bears have run away it's understandable that a torrent of scorn has been unleashed. Many of us bulls were repeatedly laughed at for our lack of market knowledge and our inability to see the impending crash (every year since about 2004 - or 1998 if you read Garth Turner's books). Having seen those rude, angry, know-it-all critics being so wrong for so long, the unrelenting payback can be quite amusing. :mrgreen:
In fond memory of Taipan, a model of modesty, decency, dignity and tolerance. Long may we all prosper from the tremendous legacy of worldly wisdom and specialized real estate knowledge which he left in the "Arguments" thread.

rofina
Real Estate Talker

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:43 pm

Geyser wrote:
In fairness to Whippy, he has stated that RE prices do move in cycles and he has also indicated that his "real estate always goes up" comments relate to the long term only. He is open to the probability of a big correction.

I am also a long term bull but I do think this bull run must be nearing it's end. I freely admit I might be wrong because I started leaning towards a short term bearish view a few years ago and dumped some condo interest at what remains a record price per sq. ft. So that worked well for me but if it had been a SFH I would be sorry to have missed the last few years of increases.

The only real truths in my mind are that the market moves in cycles, sometimes violent swings occur, but over the long term, Vancouver's prices will increase. The problem emerges when we try to define "long term". After the next inevitable correction will the return to the previous high (in real dollars) take months, years or decades?

I don't know and I don't think Whippy claims to know but I got cold feet a few years ago while he kept the faith. I think that given his acceptance of the cyclical nature of the market, he has a better batting record than me. If the market collapses tomorrow and he doesn't see it coming, at least he was calling for more increases closer to the top than I was. The main difference between our forecasting style is that I lost my nerve first.

Bottom line - nobody really knows, we are all just guessing.

Finally, in defence of his bear thumping, for about a decade the bulls on this forum were constantly mocked and abused, now that most of the most insulting bears have run away it's understandable that a torrent of scorn has been unleashed. Many of us bulls were repeatedly laughed at for our lack of market knowledge and our inability to see the impending crash (every year since about 2004 - or 1998 if you read Garth Turner's books). Having seen those rude, angry, know-it-all critics being so wrong for so long, the unrelenting payback can be quite amusing. :mrgreen:

Agree with much of this.

The unfortunate part about it is that whipmaster unrelenting payback has been so unrelenting that he effectively killed all discussion on this site.
Pretty lame for those on both sides of the fence.

Second, I wouldn't say you got cold feet. You sold to realize gain. Whipmaster detests those that take gains and calls them gamblers, its clear the guy hasn't thought the process throughout very well particualry when he considers RE the best investment.

I hope very much that he, and this site, stick around when (if?) the market ever takes a nosedive. Curious to see the narrative then.

Geyser
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:49 am

It's probably true that the frequency and degree of payback has had a negative impact, it might be better if it was limited to one or two threads where we could chose to be amused by it or ignore it. I'm not sure that would succeed though, I and others tried to persuade Taipan and his ever shrinking fan club to limit our feuding to a single thread but to no avail.

I remember a time when this forum was packed with useful information on all sorts of real estate related information but it slowly degenerated into an endless argument between bears and bulls. Most of us have been guilty of pouring gasoline on those flames at one time or another so I hesitate to criticize Whippy for being the most committed to the argument.

It really would be nice to see a return of those tips on landlord/tenant issues, best building materials, planning and zoning issues, law cases, and a whole host of other relevent topics presented and discussed without the bull versus bear thing distracting the posters.

My fear is that if and when the market turns, Taipan and a whole bunch of other currently dormant bears will fall out of the woodwork screaming "we were always right". If that happens this forum is surely doomed.

WhipMaster
Real Estate Talker

Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:11 pm

Rofina:
The unfortunate part about it is that whipmaster unrelenting payback has been so unrelenting that he effectively killed all discussion on this site.

hahahaha... you cannot be serious? Are you also blaming me for the lack of discussion on this site??? What about the Crash'trd "friendly" real estate sites that are quiet too? VREAA? VancouverPeak.com? Vancouver Condo Info or whatever it is? ....and the multitude of idiotic sites devoted awaiting the big crash. Why are they sucking wind with no discussion?.....Cuz they are full of fawking Crash'trds. All these real estate sites get infected with Crash'trds that kill the site.

Our site is quieter but not dead because we have decent people who come to visit and we have the Crash'trd Prevention Team to keep the corksuckers under control......haw! haw! haw! :P

The Crash 'trds are just too busy licking their mortal wounds to yammer right now, that's all. But they are around. They are just hiding and/or have changed their "handles". If people want to think that the market is going to crash, go ahead. But please do not be condescending and/or rude to others with a different opinion. Unfortunately, there's no changing them, that's why they are disrespected and called Crash'trds. Much as I would like to take responsibility for the clean up, it's Mr. Market that has spoken.

Now on the otherside, we have all the "Bulls" who bought 10 years ago. They now have lives to live. They aren't gonna be wasting their time fawkin the dog on this here real estate site. :lol:

Geyser:
Finally, in defence of his bear thumping, for about a decade the bulls on this forum were constantly mocked and abused, now that most of the most insulting bears have run away it's understandable that a torrent of scorn has been unleashed. Many of us bulls were repeatedly laughed at for our lack of market knowledge and our inability to see the impending crash (every year since about 2004 - or 1998 if you read Garth Turner's books). Having seen those rude, angry, know-it-all critics being so wrong for so long, the unrelenting payback can be quite amusing.

....exactly! Thank you Geyser. Your ability to identify the salient issues is why you are considered the s.a.v.v.i.e.s.t person on this forum. :D

I am just waiting for a Crash'trd to be big enough to admit that they were wrong, and to apologize to the forum for their rudeness. Until then, it's pedal to the metal....hahahahahha! Taipan? he is till choking on drywall dust.....HomelessinSD? he went AWOL....Registered? he must be still unblocking the toilet himself before he gets evicted.....MetalHead? he's a balding middle aged porker still vicariously living the life of a 16 year old heavy metal musician....VREAA? she bought a house but is too scared to tell anybody.....VancouverHousingBlog? who cares?.... FishGuy? he got a hook stuck in his lip.....red_lantern? trimming "her" moustache....Betamax? still trying to time a hardboiled egg, Lotuslander?, Canadian?, BailingBC?, Lost Soul?, et al. where are you? We miss you ... :lol: