This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

Hopes
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Vancouver listed as worst place to live in Vancouver Sun

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:06 am

"MoneySense's worst places to live in Canada"

"http://www.vancouversun.com/news/busine ... l?tab=PHOT"

"Overpriced housing: Vancouver"

ROFL

registered
Real Estate Talker

Re: Vancouver listed as worst place to live in Vancouver Sun

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:21 am

Pfft. Blasphemers catering to low grade clientele. I mean, really, who reads MoneySense? Obviously those who need money, not those who have it. Vancouver is for that special class of rich with more money than brai...... concerns.
(Am I doing it right?)

Edit:
Population decline (tie): Timmons, Ont.

Lol, 'Timmons'. Look out yer f'n widows, Vanwits.
the dogs bark but the caravan moves on

eyesthebye
Real Estate Talker

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:51 am

"MoneySense's worst places to live in Canada"

"http://www.vancouversun.com/news/busine ... l?tab=PHOT"

"Overpriced housing: Vancouver"

ROFL

if you don't own your place Vancouver is not kind - can't you tell by the sheer quantity of grumpy bears.
For those of us that do, we consider Vancouver to be a paradise.
I too am ROTFLMAO
the cure for higher prices is moving to a destination with lower prices

specialfx3000
Real Estate Talker

Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:39 pm

re: "we consider Vancouver to be a paradise."

I lived here most of my life and I generally like being in Vancouver. But Paradise? Wow, you need to get out more.

poundcruncher
Site Admin

Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:49 pm

I lived here most of my life and I generally like being in Vancouver. But Paradise? Wow, you need to get out more.
+1

thinktom
Real Estate Talker

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:02 pm

According to the same magazine, Winnipeg is 10th BEST place to live in Canada and Burlington, ON (near where I grew up) is ranked 3rd best.

That sound you hear is the credibility of Moneysense magazine getting flushed out the Burrard Inlet.

eyesthebye
Real Estate Talker

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:08 pm

where else would you rather live?

Hopes
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Cardboard box under the Burrard St. bridge! Soon those boxes will be going for $250 per sq ft!

specialfx3000
Real Estate Talker

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Not gonna bother answering your question. But I suggest that you type "paradise" in Google, and select the "Images" option.

I did and scrolled through pages and pages and I could not find any images of Hastings and Main, the 2 square kilometers that you live in, or any other part of the city that you refer to as paradise.

thirdlittlepig
Real Estate Talker

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:29 pm

Although I didn't read the actual article in Moneysense, I think affordability must have factored fairly high in the rating. Vernon was very highly rated (North Okanagan for those of you who never get out from under Vancouver's rain cloud), higher than Kelowna. Yet Vernon and Kelowna both have the great weather, skiiing access, lake access, hospital (Kelowna's is better staffed and funded), affordable homes (Kelowna less so but still far cheaper than Vancouver), more or less jobs, which on average don't pay wonderfully. I would have ranked Kelowna in general higher than Vernon, but I personally like Vernon better because it's less citified. The traffic and rain alone and just the sheer size of the city make it one of the least desirable places on earth for people who prefer a rural environment. The cost of living there just seals its doom. Why would anyone want to spend their whole life working to buy half a home?

eyesthebye
Real Estate Talker

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:33 pm

Not gonna bother answering your question. But I suggest that you type "paradise" in Google, and select the "Images" option.

I did and scrolled through pages and pages and I could not find any images of Hastings and Main, the 2 square kilometers that you live in, or any other part of the city that you refer to as paradise.
there are plenty of "paradises" I would love to visit but only one where I'd chose to live. Learn the difference

instigator
Real Estate Talker

Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:01 pm

moneysense better used as asswipe :mrgreen:

vancouverowner
Real Estate Talker

Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:20 pm

One of the best things about Vancouver and surrounding areas is the fact that it is a temperate rainforest. Our weather is slightly 'off-beat' at times (ha-ha) which serves to keep a good chunk of the world's weirdos at bay. My idea of paradise is definitely not hoards of imported tourists swarming a beach with the displaced locals skulking around the perimeter.

The Gulf Islands in July fits my idea of 'paradise' (whatever the hell that means) just fine:

specialfx3000
Real Estate Talker

Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:16 pm

One of the best things about Vancouver and surrounding areas is the fact that it is a temperate rainforest. Our weather is slightly 'off-beat' at times (ha-ha) which serves to keep a good chunk of the world's weirdos at bay. My idea of paradise is definitely not hoards of imported tourists swarming a beach with the displaced locals skulking around the perimeter.

The Gulf Islands in July fits my idea of 'paradise' (whatever the hell that means) just fine:

You have a very strong case here.

instigator
Real Estate Talker

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:21 am

where else in canada can you play in the woods and mountains like this?

quebec?

what else could you ask for? the ocean, lakes, snowboarding, dirtbiking, boating, urban/suburban/ rural life..almost anything one could want is here.