This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Re: Vancouver indvidual property sales details

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:46 am

westcoastfella wrote:
yzfr1 wrote:

Trust me when I say, the stock market is not easy. I have lots of experience.

yzfr, curious - are you in the O&G exploration or mining business, or do you have extremely deep knowledge of either of these sectors?  If not, I'd say your doing more "gambling" and less "investing"...
The stock market is not easy.  But it doesn't have to be this hard either.

With mining and O&G stocks, I've learned that it is best to find a management team you like and stick with them.  Many of the same management teams work multiple projects at the same time and usually find a way to position shareholders as winners at some point in a projects life.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:47 am

LillyLilly3 doesnt understand things that well however, it is the best place on earth,. here we go!

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/the-be ... e-on-earth
There's a reason why countless influential magazines have named Vancouver, British Columbia, "The Most Livable City on Earth." Boasting a lush rainforest, immense mountains and the Pacific Ocean in its backyard, Vancouver is everything you could ask for and more! Up until I was 16 years old, I was lucky to call this waterfront city, home. With that being said, I got to know the city pretty well. Here are some reasons why, in my opinion, Vancouver is the most amazing place in the world.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:48 am

I always laugh when people talk about New York

new york is one of the most out date places in the world.

people in new york have to wait MUCH longer than this(Vancouver) for a train
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq3f7_ni ... re=related

in most of the US(except detroit) the trains still use wheels to move and men(or ladies) to drive. thats so old fashioned and basically embarassing.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:49 am

reallyreal2 wrote:
westcoastfella wrote:
yzfr1 wrote:

Trust me when I say, the stock market is not easy. I have lots of experience.

yzfr, curious - are you in the O&G exploration or mining business, or do you have extremely deep knowledge of either of these sectors?  If not, I'd say your doing more "gambling" and less "investing"...
The stock market is not easy.  But it doesn't have to be this hard either.

With mining and O&G stocks, I've learned that it is best to find a management team you like and stick with them.  Many of the same management teams work multiple projects at the same time and usually find a way to position shareholders as winners at some point in a projects life.

Any more than a tiny $5000 a year GAMBLE on those stocks in a TFSA and you'll pay so many taxes its not funny.
you can buy a home to live in and not throw away money on rent and enjoy the tax free instant income of paying off your mortgage early and more tax free income upon sale of the home.

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:49 am

I see google translate (aka TDMA) is still replying to their own posts that nobody reads (other than ETB who can't nod their head fast enough when TDMA posts).

Problem is nobody is reading - well, not so much a problem as a good thing.

What's that saying... if a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around....? 

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:50 am

vancouver the best place on earth in ultra k 4hd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO1OpGolX2g

we're going to the moon!

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:52 am

people that are actually familiar with the language know that you obviously buy insurance when you have a job, not after you dont have a job. 

there is no reason to be concerned about buying a home as you can have mortgage insurance(not life insurance) for that

https://www.bmo.com/pdf/CertificateofInsurance_EN.pdf

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:56 am

intelligent people without envy or drool know you can get a brand new house in Vancouver for just a bit over a million. brand new.

go to realtylink, click on buy, houses, east vancouver, , click on 1 year old, and bingo here you go brand new

http://www.realtylink.org/prop_search/D ... l&From=MLS

Harahomes
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Hey guys use the other thread for stock market vs real estate discussion and personal attacks.  I just made a new thread for it. 

Lets go back to topic! :D :D :D

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Harahomes wrote:
Hey guys use the other thread for stock market vs real estate discussion and personal attacks.  I just made a new thread for it. 

I hereby and solemnly declare, with a touch of formal relationships, pomp,  circumstance, et al, topped with a dual gold/red wax seal, +1

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Harahomes wrote:

So Hara, when you buy land for building, do you build land appreciation into your calculation?

In other words, do you assume a 5% or 10% increase in the market from when you buy to sell or do you assume 0%?

I ask because some of these builders are paying obscene prices for land and I can't see it being worth their time without the overall value increasing.

Also - what are your thoughts on the lack of movement for some of these N Bby homes in the $2.5+M range. Does that make you nervous building in N Bby when none of the "premium" homes are selling?

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:15 pm

reallyreal2 wrote:
Harahomes wrote:

So Hara, when you buy land for building, do you build land appreciation into your calculation?

In other words, do you assume a 5% or 10% increase in the market from when you buy to sell or do you assume 0%?

I ask because some of these builders are paying obscene prices for land and I can't see it being worth their time without the overall value increasing.

Also - what are your thoughts on the lack of movement for some of these N Bby homes in the $2.5+M range.  Does that make you nervous building in N Bby when none of the "premium" homes are selling?

The prices you drool with envy over are a normal course of building a home.  Anyone with a Canadian passport or permanent residence in Canada may build a home to live in and later sell it without paying tax on the profit.  There is no other investment of that size in Canada that can result in the same magnitude of tax free income.
The home that is built does not even have to be inside Canada to qualify for the tax free tax status.

Harahomes
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:59 pm

"So Hara, when you buy land for building, do you build land appreciation into your calculation?

In other words, do you assume a 5% or 10% increase in the market from when you buy to sell or do you assume 0%?"
No, I don't assume any value increase.  So that's 0% What I look at is the price of the land, plus build cost, plus taxes (income tax, GST), carrying costs, insurance, city fees, and a certain percentage of profit.  If the value of the project increases during construction my profit margin increases accordingly.   I never factor in project price increases, in fact I don't know of any builders that do.  In fact any business that would do this would fail pretty quickly.  That's like counting paper gains before liquidating assets.  Not very smart.

Also, I build both spec homes (build to sell) and custom homes (build for customers).

"I ask because some of these builders are paying obscene prices for land and I can't see it being worth their time without the overall value increasing."
That's because your don't understand the business model,  nor do you understand costing associated with construction. 
Are you under the impression that builders buy property and build in hopes of making money when the prices go up?  Do you really think someone is going to invest or gamble upwards of 500K to million bucks per home in hopes of the prices going up to turn a profit?  That doesn't make financial sense to me.
"Also - what are your thoughts on the lack of movement for some of these N Bby homes in the $2.5+M range. Does that make you nervous building in N Bby when none of the "premium" homes are selling?"
I actually have no thoughts because I have no idea of which homes you are talking about.  Doesn't make me nervous at all.  North Burnaby is actually the hottest area of Burnaby right now, followed by Deer Lake, Forglen and South Slope.

Can we get back on topic!

List some sales

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:31 pm

No sales to speak of... you know it's dire when etb2 can't cherry pick sales.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:34 pm