This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS

Moderator: admin

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Re: Vancouver indvidual property sales details

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Looking back, you missed the boat and tax free income. derp!

VanLord
Real Estate Talker

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:01 pm

westcoastfella wrote:
VanLord, please don't - every time you quote him I am forced to see his drivel.  Ignore is your best option.

ok you're right, just have to remember to login first before reading posts!  Flame war is off, just ignore!!!

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:04 pm

This year, insured by job loss insurance on mortgages, we're going to the moon!

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:19 am

VanLord wrote:
westcoastfella wrote:
VanLord, please don't - every time you quote him I am forced to see his drivel.  Ignore is your best option.

ok you're right, just have to remember to login first before reading posts!  Flame war is off, just ignore!!!

I know - it sucks that you have to log in every time now when coming to this site so to avoid the nuisance of tdma.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:23 am

Just about every piece of media last week in Vancouver, big and small noted that sales are going up back to normal as of this quarter

to the moon!

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:24 am

eyesthebye2 wrote:
Ok one argument with ETB, than I'm out for a while
How is Real Estate any different???  

Dont be naive.
Stock market is for making money. If there is no money to be made there are no buyers.
Housing has function.
There are locations all over N America whete housing never appreciates...yet there are still ample buyers.
Thats why I dont trust stocks. Eventually the music will stop and stockholders will be left without a chair to sit on.

Again - do you even understand how the stock market works? 
I guess it doesn't matter one way or the other.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:31 am

reallyreal2 wrote:
eyesthebye2 wrote:
Ok one argument with ETB, than I'm out for a while
How is Real Estate any different???  

Dont be naive.
Stock market is for making money. If there is no money to be made there are no buyers.
Housing has function.
There are locations all over N America whete housing never appreciates...yet there are still ample buyers.
Thats why I dont trust stocks. Eventually the music will stop and stockholders will be left without a chair to sit on.

Again - do you even understand how the stock market works? 
I guess it doesn't matter one way or the other.

The stock market is a good way for the government to profit off of peoples gambling, thats why the TFSA was reduced from $10,000 to $5000.
Better to buy a house and live in it since there's no other way in Canada to invest such a large amount of money and not have to pay tax on your profit

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:32 am

VanLord wrote:
yzfr1 wrote:

Stock markets are a positive for people who understand why they are investing in. People on this forum have demonstrated a very basic understanding of equites. The problem I have with stocks is that every harry dick and tom tries to invest their money into something they don''t understand and frankly have no buisness investing in. Even buying mutual funds at a bank is stupid when you just listen to what the advisor "suggests" Most people should just leave their money inside a GIC. At least make a attempt to try to learn about how the fincial market works, some basic terms. Shorting / options / EPS ect ect ect.

Yes people should make an attempt to learn about the markets, and maybe for some its best to leave it in a GIC, but the problem with that is you are losing ground against inflation every year and you are taxed at the highest rate on any interest earned (outside TFSA or RRSP)...Better to put it in an Index fund or blue chip fund that pays out dividends, but I agree you should have at least a basic understanding of the markets and what you are buying...especially when it goes south for a while, so that you don't panic sell.

If you don't understand how the market works, banks are always a relatively safe bet.  They seem to win year after year after year.  Reinvest the dividends and bob's your uncle.
I still kick myself for not buying BMO in 2008 when it fell to $25-$30.  They are paying a $3.5/share dividend today meaning that investment would be paying over 10% return just on the dividends - nevermind the capital appreciation of nearly 4 times my money.  
So long as you think our banks are solvent and will always be solvent - bank stocks are easy money.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:37 am

reallyreal2 wrote:
VanLord wrote:
yzfr1 wrote:

Stock markets are a positive for people who understand why they are investing in. People on this forum have demonstrated a very basic understanding of equites. The problem I have with stocks is that every harry dick and tom tries to invest their money into something they don''t understand and frankly have no buisness investing in. Even buying mutual funds at a bank is stupid when you just listen to what the advisor "suggests" Most people should just leave their money inside a GIC. At least make a attempt to try to learn about how the fincial market works, some basic terms. Shorting / options / EPS ect ect ect.

Yes people should make an attempt to learn about the markets, and maybe for some its best to leave it in a GIC, but the problem with that is you are losing ground against inflation every year and you are taxed at the highest rate on any interest earned (outside TFSA or RRSP)...Better to put it in an Index fund or blue chip fund that pays out dividends, but I agree you should have at least a basic understanding of the markets and what you are buying...especially when it goes south for a while, so that you don't panic sell.

If you don't understand how the market works, banks are always a relatively safe bet.  They seem to win year after year after year.  Reinvest the dividends and bob's your uncle.
I still kick myself for not buying BMO in 2008 when it fell to $25-$30.  They are paying a $3.5/share dividend today meaning that investment would be paying over 10% return just on the dividends - nevermind the capital appreciation of nearly 4 times my money.  
So long as you think our banks are solvent and will always be solvent - bank stocks are easy money.

That's not an appropriate thing at all.  You are taxed on an RRSP too if you didnt already know.  better to buy a home and enjoy the tax free gains instead of showing envy and drool. Nobody should be gambling on the stock market.

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:37 am

eyesthebye2 wrote:
westcoastfella wrote:
eyesthebye2 wrote:

First you want to tell me how much my home is worth, now you want to give me the details on my pension?
You're a real hoot pal.

as usual, dodging the question....

Its a defined pension plan.
In good times it pays me no more than defined, even when it produces higher yield. Likewise, in bad times it pays me no less.
This is directly from the pension management:
"Upturns and downturns in investment markets—both while you work and after you retire—will not affect your basic pension income"

Now lets talk about how full of shit you are about your housing westcoast.
You were basically affordability evicted from Vancouver about 5 years ago.
Now suddenly you have a million plus home with no mortgage and having done a 300k reno? Smells bad from how I read it. Time for a diaper change.

LOL WCF seems to have gotten under ETB skin here.
The dim lightbulb must have just gone off in ETB's head that if the stock market crashes (someone is without a chair!!!!) then that means his pension is up for renegotiation.  And now has resorted to foul language to vent frustrations!
LOL - then he quotes something from pension management.  Sorry ETB, you will be effected just as much as everyone else when stock market tanks because if there isn't any money, there isn't any money.  Not the market tanks but ETB still gets their pension LOL

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:38 am

People in the know use this to look for homes from any realtor in Vancouver http://www.realtylink.org/prop_search/AreaSelect.cfm?AreaID=2  instead of those dodgy sites that scrape data from who knows where.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:40 am

reallyreal2 wrote:
eyesthebye2 wrote:
westcoastfella wrote:

In good times it pays me no more than defined, even when it produces higher yield. Likewise, in bad times it pays me no less.
"Upturns and downturns in investment markets—both while you work and after you retire—will not affect your basic pension income"

Now suddenly you have a million plus home with no mortgage and having done a 300k reno? Smells bad from how I read it. Time for a diaper change.

LOL WCF seems to have gotten under ETB skin here.
The dim lightbulb must have just gone off in ETB's head that if the stock market crashes (someone is without a chair!!!!) then that means his pension is up for renegotiation.  And now has resorted to foul language to vent frustrations!
LOL - then he quotes something from pension management.  Sorry ETB, you will be effected just as much as everyone else when stock market tanks because if there isn't any money, there isn't any money.  Not the market tanks but ETB still gets their pension LOL

His pension is a defined benefit plan by the way silly billy

reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:42 am

westcoastfella wrote:
eyesthebye2 wrote:
westcoastfella wrote:

Every pension plan is defined.  You have a defined benefit pension plan, which pays you $x until you die no matter what you put in or what happens in the market.  As opposed to a defined contribution pension, which says your employer will contribute $x every year to a pooled pension (often shared by you and employer), and that you will get some amount of money paid regularly once you retire.  Defined benefit is certainly preferrable, and having it be government backed provides a lot more guarantee than a private corporation, but just ask Nortel employees about guaranteed pensions

Well not everyone has a government job, some of us actually get to earn real money with our occupations  :shock:
I don't recall being "affordability evicted" in 2009, I simply wasn't willing to pay the asking price for a house back then and stayed in my fully paid off apartment - although I'm sure you saw it that way with your myopic view of the world.  Work took me away for a few years, but I'm back now...suffice to say the last 8 years have been full of mostly good decisions on my part, and a fair amount of luck, which have set me up for life.  Looking back, I can honestly say that one of the best decisions I made back in 2009 was not buying a house in the LM.

Congrats WCF!
Some people on this forum of so full envy of those that are able to earn income, set them self up for retirement all the while doing it without having to chain themself up to a Vancouver home for the rest of their life and pretend this is the place on earth to justify their decision.  Others consider it shocking that people are able to make money outside of the lower mainland because they can't fathom that a big world exists beyond 60 kms east of the Fraser River.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:43 am

Things are different this time. We're going to the moon!

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-expands-exemption-on-foreign-buyer-tax-to-include-workers-on-provincial-program

The province unveiled changes to its foreign-buyer tax on real estate on Friday, exempting skilled workers immigrating here under the provincial nominee program and offering rebates to foreign buyers who put down roots as permanent residents.
Premier Christy Clark said in January that she wanted to exempt people with work permits who were living and paying taxes in B.C. Finance Minister Mike de Jong said a range of rebates for new permanent residents were under consideration.
Friday, Clark and de Jong announced their decision, which includes an exemption to immigrants arriving under the provincial nominee program. The exemption takes effect immediately and is retroactive to when the tax was introduced in August.
De Jong also announced a rebate to the 15-per-cent tax for foreign nationals who obtain permanent Canadian residency within a year of buying a home, so long as they have lived in that home for at least a year.
The Finance Ministry expects 500 to 800 nominee-program buyers will apply for the exemption and 20 to 30 new permanent residents, which will cuts the province’s take from the tax by $1 million to $3 million for the first year of the tax.

tdma800
Real Estate Talker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:45 am

reallyreal2 wrote:
westcoastfella wrote:
eyesthebye2 wrote:

Every pension plan is defined.  You have a defined benefit pension plan, which pays you $x until you die no matter what you put in or what happens in the market.  As opposed to a defined contribution pension, which says your employer will contribute $x every year to a pooled pension (often shared by you and employer), and that you will get some amount of money paid regularly once you retire.  Defined benefit is certainly preferrable, and having it be government backed provides a lot more guarantee than a private corporation, but just ask Nortel employees about guaranteed pensions

Well not everyone has a government job, some of us actually get to earn real money with our occupations  :shock:
I don't recall being "affordability evicted" in 2009, I simply wasn't willing to pay the asking price for a house back then and stayed in my fully paid off apartment - although I'm sure you saw it that way with your myopic view of the world.  Work took me away for a few years, but I'm back now...suffice to say the last 8 years have been full of mostly good decisions on my part, and a fair amount of luck, which have set me up for life.  Looking back, I can honestly say that one of the best decisions I made back in 2009 was not buying a house in the LM.

Congrats WCF!
Some people on this forum of so full envy of those that are able to earn income, set them self up for retirement all the while doing it without having to chain themself up to a Vancouver home for the rest of their life and pretend this is the place on earth to justify their decision.  Others consider it shocking that people are able to make money outside of the lower mainland because they can't fathom that a big world exists beyond 60 kms east of the Fraser River.

.You're just envious that others didn't have to gamble their money on the stock market and pay higher taxes
anyone who thinks a house is risky is silly. just buy with a conventional low-ratio down payment and if you're concerned about your job, buy mortgage insurance(not life) for that. The world is in Vancouver, and not much elsewhere. thats the way it is.