This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS


Moderator: admin

 
jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author
Posts: 5414
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:59 pm

What just happened?

Wed May 10, 2017 2:08 pm

This is a continuation of reallyreal's thread.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=129648


Election night is here...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=129648&start=165



To recap, the late polls were absolutely correct. A close election with a minority or slim majority government.

That said, there's the final count of absentee votes on May 22. Fat Christy could eke out a one-seat majority if BC Liberals win Coutney-Comox. Otherwise, its 43/41/3.

What just happened was that opposition voters started voting efficiently. Annihilated the conservatives in metro Vancouver and VI. Opposition vote splitting was less of an issue this year.

However, the political structure of BC is not efficient. The left has been without a viable ideology since the end of the cold war. That's why the NDP has been in the wilderness for 16 years. 

This year, Christy had too many legacy issues, and the NDP became the champion of metro Vancouver. To complete this transformation, the NDP needs to shed its union roots. Become the party of metro Vancouver; the core of this province.

Just as Vision Vancouver is the party of CoV, and the NPA has become irrelevant. The NDP needs to become the party of the educated middle class and progressives. To start, the NDP government has to ban corporate AND union donations.

How does this political alliance work? The NDP becomes the party of metro Vancouver and urban VI. The Greens are the party of the conservationists and environmentalists with potential in all parts of rural and urban interior. 

The NDP has to solidify its transformation soon because the Green Party is coming up fast in the rear view mirror. If not the NDP, then the Green Party could take the centre-left.

Your views? The moon man's rantings not welcome.
 
tdma800
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 2977
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 am

Re: What just happened?

Wed May 10, 2017 2:53 pm

^-- irrelevant
 
tdma800
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 2977
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 am

Re: What just happened?

Wed May 10, 2017 2:55 pm

In the real world 30,000 people come each year to the Vancouver region that need a place to live. We're going to the moon!
 
jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author
Posts: 5414
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:59 pm

Re: What just happened?

Thu May 11, 2017 7:24 am

VanLord:

"I think the people have spoken more about the Liberals than the NDP.  The people slapped Christy for all the shit she has pulled, they don't trust the NDP enough to give them a mandate to govern.  We'll see what happens, but I suspect the Green party will be looking to align with the Liberals, rather than the NDP, because they have more ability to force the Liberals to make policy changes, rather than forming a coalition government with the NDP, which would force them into a bit player."


I'm going to shift this discussion from realreal's thread to this thread where I hope that there will be an uninterrupted discussion.

The problem with the BC Liberals is that they are also (like the NDP) facing ideological bankruptcy.

Christy Clark is leading the conservatives down the road to a dead end. By their emphasis on resource development, Christy's electoral support has switched from wealthy metro Vancouver to the lower per capita income of the interior.

That's why she has to accept corporate donations. She can't raise the kind of money from Kamloops etc to fund the pre-election attack ads.

Can she afford to ban corporate donations?

On the other side, the NDP and Greens have an historic opportunity to occupy the centre and create a stronghold of the entire metro Vancouver. Can they afford NOT to ban union donations?

Christy isn't stupid. In fact, she is entirely cunning. But, she is not the right person to transform the BC Liberals into a political force of the 21st Century.

That's why, political instability will be the nature of BC politics until someone can find their way to seize the centre. 

It is instructive that Justin Trudeau can create a large parliamentary majority out of 40% of the vote.
 
tdma800
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 2977
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 am

Re: What just happened?

Thu May 11, 2017 7:30 am

Irrelevant
 
tdma800
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 2977
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 am

Re: What just happened?

Thu May 11, 2017 7:31 am

In the real world with 30000 people coming we're going to the moon
 
VanLord
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:52 pm

Re: What just happened?

Thu May 11, 2017 4:25 pm

jimtan wrote:
VanLord:

"I think the people have spoken more about the Liberals than the NDP.  The people slapped Christy for all the shit she has pulled, they don't trust the NDP enough to give them a mandate to govern.  We'll see what happens, but I suspect the Green party will be looking to align with the Liberals, rather than the NDP, because they have more ability to force the Liberals to make policy changes, rather than forming a coalition government with the NDP, which would force them into a bit player."


I'm going to shift this discussion from realreal's thread to this thread where I hope that there will be an uninterrupted discussion.

The problem with the BC Liberals is that they are also (like the NDP) facing ideological bankruptcy.

Christy Clark is leading the conservatives down the road to a dead end. By their emphasis on resource development, Christy's electoral support has switched from wealthy metro Vancouver to the lower per capita income of the interior.

That's why she has to accept corporate donations. She can't raise the kind of money from Kamloops etc to fund the pre-election attack ads.

Can she afford to ban corporate donations?

On the other side, the NDP and Greens have an historic opportunity to occupy the centre and create a stronghold of the entire metro Vancouver. Can they afford NOT to ban union donations?

Christy isn't stupid. In fact, she is entirely cunning. But, she is not the right person to transform the BC Liberals into a political force of the 21st Century.

That's why, political instability will be the nature of BC politics until someone can find their way to seize the centre. 

It is instructive that Justin Trudeau can create a large parliamentary majority out of 40% of the vote.

you are probably right, however the greens and the NDP don't want to take control of the centre.  I think the NDP have done the exact opposite of that and veered to the left, which is going to ultimately lead to their demise.  Their current platform is unelectable, which is clearly evident in Alberta.  They have destroyed themselves and will be swept into another 40 years of obscurity in Alberta and likely the same fate awaits them in BC.  Christy and the Liberals held onto power, even with their inexcusable behavior and scandal after scandal. 
Want to start a new Centrist Party, we could take this province in a heartbeat!!! 
 
tdma800
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 2977
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 am

Re: What just happened?

Thu May 11, 2017 4:28 pm

^-- irrelevant. plonk
 
tdma800
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 2977
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 am

Re: What just happened?

Thu May 11, 2017 4:28 pm

in the real world, this time its different. we're going to the moon!
 
VanLord
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:52 pm

Re: What just happened?

Thu May 11, 2017 4:33 pm

DUMBDUMB:
[size=100]tdma800, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.[/size]



you are hilarious, get a life dude...we ain't reading your crap
 
tdma800
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 2977
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 am

Re: What just happened?

Thu May 11, 2017 4:35 pm

VanLord wrote:
DUMBDUMB:
[size=100]tdma800, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.[/size]



you are hilarious, get a life dude...we ain't reading your crap

what you say is what you are. you just proved it Lol
 
tdma800
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 2977
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 am

Re: What just happened?

Thu May 11, 2017 4:36 pm

in the real world this time its different. we're going to the moon!
 
reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:30 am

Re: What just happened?

Fri May 12, 2017 9:24 am

VanLord wrote:
jimtan wrote:
VanLord:

"I think the people have spoken more about the Liberals than the NDP.  The people slapped Christy for all the shit she has pulled, they don't trust the NDP enough to give them a mandate to govern.  We'll see what happens, but I suspect the Green party will be looking to align with the Liberals, rather than the NDP, because they have more ability to force the Liberals to make policy changes, rather than forming a coalition government with the NDP, which would force them into a bit player."


I'm going to shift this discussion from realreal's thread to this thread where I hope that there will be an uninterrupted discussion.

The problem with the BC Liberals is that they are also (like the NDP) facing ideological bankruptcy.

Christy Clark is leading the conservatives down the road to a dead end. By their emphasis on resource development, Christy's electoral support has switched from wealthy metro Vancouver to the lower per capita income of the interior.

That's why she has to accept corporate donations. She can't raise the kind of money from Kamloops etc to fund the pre-election attack ads.

Can she afford to ban corporate donations?

On the other side, the NDP and Greens have an historic opportunity to occupy the centre and create a stronghold of the entire metro Vancouver. Can they afford NOT to ban union donations?

Christy isn't stupid. In fact, she is entirely cunning. But, she is not the right person to transform the BC Liberals into a political force of the 21st Century.

That's why, political instability will be the nature of BC politics until someone can find their way to seize the centre. 

It is instructive that Justin Trudeau can create a large parliamentary majority out of 40% of the vote.

you are probably right, however the greens and the NDP don't want to take control of the centre.  I think the NDP have done the exact opposite of that and veered to the left, which is going to ultimately lead to their demise.  Their current platform is unelectable, which is clearly evident in Alberta.  They have destroyed themselves and will be swept into another 40 years of obscurity in Alberta and likely the same fate awaits them in BC.  Christy and the Liberals held onto power, even with their inexcusable behavior and scandal after scandal. 
Want to start a new Centrist Party, we could take this province in a heartbeat!!! 

I really don't understand what it he issue with Alberta?  Last I checked NDP doesn't set the price of oil.  Also - last I checked, the NDP didn't put all of Alberta's economic eggs into one basket over the past few decades.  I actually get a good laugh out of Alberta.
 
tdma800
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 2977
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 am

Re: What just happened?

Fri May 12, 2017 9:32 am

^--- irrelevant - plonk
 
jimtan
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author
Posts: 5414
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:59 pm

Re: What just happened?

Fri May 12, 2017 10:53 am

reallyreal2 wrote:
I really don't understand what it he issue with Alberta?  Last I checked NDP doesn't set the price of oil.  Also - last I checked, the NDP didn't put all of Alberta's economic eggs into one basket over the past few decades.  I actually get a good laugh out of Alberta.

+1
The conservatives squandered the oil royalties, and depleted the Heritage Fund. Clearly bankrupt ideologically and fiscally. Notley inherited the mother of all messes.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests