This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS


Moderator: admin

 
VanLord
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:52 pm

Re: Van detached house building costs

Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:05 pm

looks cool could you turn that into a suite ... would it be liable for capital gains!!!  Maybe put on wheels and roll it away when you sell
 
Harahomes
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:36 am

Re: Van detached house building costs

Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:15 pm

VanLord wrote:
looks cool could you turn that into a suite ... would it be liable for capital gains!!!  Maybe put on wheels and roll it away when you sell

Good idea!!
Maybe that's the future for laneway homes.  Convert 1 (10X20) container into a 200 sq ft rental unit.  Call it a Micro laneway home
 
Geyser
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:26 pm
Location: In a van down by the river

Re: Van detached house building costs

Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:57 pm

Harahomes wrote:
I'm not sure many people would want to live in a container home. 

Anyways I'm done being trolled.  If you think container homes are better than regular homes that's fine.  Lets agree to disagree.


So you are "not sure many people would want to live in a container home", but you build laneway homes, right? That suggests to me that you didn't bother to follow the link I posted, so here it is again. Please take a look at the photos and tell me why people wouldn't like to live in this house but might be happy to live in one of your laneway homes. 

http://www.ikeadecoration.com/home-designing/31-containers-into-one-shattering-beautiful-shipping-container-homes-by-zeigler-build.html


Oh, sorry, I forgot that you don't want to discuss it any more. (ETB is that you?) :lol: Seriously, I do understand your reluctance to discuss a cheaper, more durable and more secure alternative to your own products. I get it.


For others, here's something to ponder regarding security and durability:

Shipping containers are designed to be stacked 10 or twenty high and be battered by high winds, salt water and extremes of temperature without damage to their contents. Then they are unloaded and trucked to their onland destinations. I wonder how well a conventionally built frame and stucco house would survive a few trans-Atlantic crossings lashed to the deck of a cargo ship? Just asking.

In fairness, the home featured above is obviously a higher end home, but the big cost savings are being taken advantage of with inexpensive micro-suites too. Check out this project in East Vancouver. If I was a single person on a limited budget I think I could happily live in one of these units:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/01/30/shipping-container-house-vancouver_n_4697469.html


I have no particular axe to grind on stucco versus steel, my home is a conventional build and I'm happy in it, but I do see this growing use of shipping containers as a very interesting and somewhat attractive alternative to wood frame and stucco, particularly in our wet but mild climate. They certainly appear to have numerous advantages over typical laneway houses and, with the right architect, can be used to quickly and economically construct some very nice luxury homes.
 
VanLord
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:52 pm

Re: Van detached house building costs

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:28 pm

Geyser wrote:

I followed the link and love the homes shown, I've been a big fan of these homes for a long time.  Not sure how feasible it really is, but if I were building I'd look into it.  This is one of the coolest retail stores with the truckspotting tower!!!
http://www.architravel.com/architravel/ ... hip-store/
 
tdma800
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 2977
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 am

Re: Van detached house building costs

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:37 am

Harahomes wrote:
I'm not sure many people would want to live in a container home. 

Anyways I'm done being trolled.  If you think container homes are better than regular homes that's fine.  Lets agree to disagree.

Well, the modern way to put it is that some have challenges.
 
reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 677
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:30 am

Re: Van detached house building costs

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:31 am

i don't know much about container homes but i'm also not a builder.  Surprised that the builder knows so little.  Actually not  because many builders in Vancouver build fourth rate homes and call them "craftsmen" - like they know what that even means.

And to think someone thinks you can build for $125/ft.  LOL - poor folks that purchased that junk.
 
tdma800
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 2977
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 am

Re: Van detached house building costs

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:55 am

Harahomes wrote:
Geyser wrote:
Some companies are offering container homes and some of them look very attractive, they can be spacious and offer numerous desirable characteristics beside low cost.

I saw this comment at http://www.jetsongreen.com/2010/02/ten-things-consider-shipping-container-projects.html

Edited for brevity:

Hannah February 10, 2010 at 9:49 pm[color=#333333] - Reply[/color]
We have priced containers and pre-shipping you can get a 20ft or a 40ft, High Cube for $1750, $1500 if you buy more than one. This is not including shipping, which, yes, if you don’t live near a port like we do, will cost you.

We are quoted $300 sq ft for building a house, I Guarantee it will not cost that much to build a container home. A gorgeous one was built in Montreal for $75 US a sq ft…..


Your not saving that much money using shipping containers.  If you look at it the shipping container is just really replacing the wood framing of a building.  You still have to plumb and insulate it.  I would assume you would have to insulate them more than a regular home because the outside is made of metal (transfer of heat and cold easier than wood)  Once you start framing the inside of a container you are left with an 8 ft wide space and 9 ft ceilings.
Looks attractive but not very appropriate for Vancouver weather.  Would work great for short term housing, ie disaster relief or a replacement of a log cabin.

Anyone who knows about homes is aware that you can build luxury for above $180 a ft and on the cheap but still insured for under $130 a ft easily.
 
Demonizer
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:06 am

Re: Van detached house building costs

Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:04 am

i agree with hara homes with regards to the cost. 

container homes may be perceived as cheaper and easier to quickly provide some type of temporary and simple albeit uncomfortable housing 

in order to make it as comfortable as a real home would cost more to retro the containers from boxes into actual living spaces.

it would cost more because it's more labour intensive to do all the mechanical and install all the windows and doors.

no doubt a container is strong and more mobile though. but aesthetically not that easy to work with and keep cost in control and also predictable. Nobody really does them. so costs are a bit of a question mark.

i think while container homes may be a neat idea, a portable building like the ones for portable classrooms is a better easier build. easier to customize than a container. like ones build by britco and shelter ind.
 
Geyser
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:26 pm
Location: In a van down by the river

Re: Van detached house building costs

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:03 am

VanLord wrote:
Geyser wrote:

I followed the link and love the homes shown, I've been a big fan of these homes for a long time.  Not sure how feasible it really is, but if I were building I'd look into it.  This is one of the coolest retail stores with the truckspotting tower!!!
http://www.architravel.com/architravel/ ... hip-store/

Wow! That tower is wild!

I'm not sure I'd want to be inside the top unit during a hurricane!  :lol:
 
Geyser
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:26 pm
Location: In a van down by the river

Re: Van detached house building costs

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:40 am

Demonizer wrote:
i agree with hara homes with regards to the cost. 

container homes may be perceived as cheaper and easier to quickly provide some type of temporary and simple albeit uncomfortable housing 

in order to make it as comfortable as a real home would cost more to retro the containers from boxes into actual living spaces.

it would cost more because it's more labour intensive to do all the mechanical and install all the windows and doors.

no doubt a container is strong and more mobile though. but aesthetically not that easy to work with and keep cost in control and also predictable. Nobody really does them. so costs are a bit of a question mark.

i think while container homes may be a neat idea, a portable building like the ones for portable classrooms is a better easier build. easier to customize than a container. like ones build by britco and shelter ind.


For those who didn't read the earlier quotes on costs, here is another to help confirm that a fully liveable, comfortable, completed container home is likely to be much, much cheaper than a conventional build. The micro-loft project built on Vancouver's East Side is estimated to have cost approximately half that of a similar conventional build.

"If you're interested in purchasing a storage container home that has already been built, you'll need to check into areas where these are built on land and then sold with a site. In Costa Rica, where use is more widespread, a 20-foot container home will give you about 160 square feet of living space, and the cost is $12,500. This does not include any glass doors you'd like to have added."

"A home made with two 20-foot containers has 320 square feet of living space, and costs $26,000, also not including any glass doors you may wish to add. These prices include the container(s), finished walls that are insulated, basic electrical and plumbing features, two lights and four wall outlets per container and built-in shelves in the living area and kitchen."

The Scottish container house quoted earlier was fully finished for $75K.


Apparently, adding doors and windows is easier and cheaper than with a conventional build. An oxyacetylene torch cuts the openings
 in minutes and provides a strong surround for the frames.

Despite the many advantages, I do understand conventional builders reluctance to agree. It appears that some local taxi companies also consider Uber to be the work of the devil, horseless carriages were also initially greeted with mistrust and disdain, especially by the horse and buggy suppliers. :lol:
 
Harahomes
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:36 am

Re: Van detached house building costs

Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:10 pm

reallyreal2 wrote:
i don't know much about container homes but i'm also not a builder.  Surprised that the builder knows so little.  Actually not  because many builders in Vancouver build fourth rate homes and call them "craftsmen" - like they know what that even means.

And to think someone thinks you can build for $125/ft.  LOL - poor folks that purchased that junk.

I don't think you know what it means.  When someone describes a "craftsmen"  house they are describing the style and look of the house not the skill level of the person who built it.  Just saying, might want to google it before you post it :roll:

The fact that you don't even know what a "craftsmen" house is makes me wonder if you know anything about this industry?  How can anyone take your opinion seriously because it is so misinformed?  How can you even begin to comment on price for sq ft?

By the way its CRAFTSMAN  not "craftsmen"
Last edited by Harahomes on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
Geyser
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:26 pm
Location: In a van down by the river

Re: Van detached house building costs

Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:49 pm

Harahomes wrote:
reallyreal2 wrote:
i don't know much about container homes but i'm also not a builder.  Surprised that the builder knows so little.  Actually not  because many builders in Vancouver build fourth rate homes and call them "craftsmen" - like they know what that even means.

And to think someone thinks you can build for $125/ft.  LOL - poor folks that purchased that junk.

I don't think you know what it means.  When someone describes a "craftsmen"  house they are describing the style and look of the house not the skill level of the person who built it.  Just saying, might want to google it before you post it :roll:

I agree with Harahomes on that one. 

I also didn't realize what the term actually meant when I first heard it many years ago. Thinking it referred to the quality of construction rather than the style was an easy mistake for me to make.

As an aside, It's a shame that the high level of craftsmanship which used to be fairly common in higher end homes is rarely seen these days. I guess it's getting hard to justify the extra costs of really high quality workmanship.
 
Harahomes
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:36 am

Re: Van detached house building costs

Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:10 pm

Geyser wrote:
Harahomes wrote:
reallyreal2 wrote:
i don't know much about container homes but i'm also not a builder.  Surprised that the builder knows so little.  Actually not  because many builders in Vancouver build fourth rate homes and call them "craftsmen" - like they know what that even means.

And to think someone thinks you can build for $125/ft.  LOL - poor folks that purchased that junk.

I don't think you know what it means.  When someone describes a "craftsmen"  house they are describing the style and look of the house not the skill level of the person who built it.  Just saying, might want to google it before you post it :roll:

I agree with Harahomes on that one. 

I also didn't realize what the term actually meant when I first heard it many years ago. Thinking it referred to the quality of construction rather than the style was an easy mistake for me to make.

As an aside, It's a shame that the high level of craftsmanship which used to be fairly common in higher end homes is rarely seen these days. I guess it's getting hard to justify the extra costs of really high quality workmanship.

I can't believe you agree with me.
 
reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 677
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:30 am

Re: Van detached house building costs

Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:25 pm

Harahomes wrote:
reallyreal2 wrote:
i don't know much about container homes but i'm also not a builder.  Surprised that the builder knows so little.  Actually not  because many builders in Vancouver build fourth rate homes and call them "craftsmen" - like they know what that even means.

And to think someone thinks you can build for $125/ft.  LOL - poor folks that purchased that junk.

I don't think you know what it means.  When someone describes a "craftsmen"  house they are describing the style and look of the house not the skill level of the person who built it.  Just saying, might want to google it before you post it :roll:

The fact that you don't even know what a "craftsmen" house is makes me wonder if you know anything about this industry?  How can anyone take your opinion seriously because it is so misinformed?  How can you even begin to comment on price for sq ft?

By the way its CRAFTSMAN  not "craftsmen"

I can begin to comment on sq footage because I know many people that have built homes and have told me enough about the costs to get a rough approximation - then walking into their homes, I note the quality.  Now I am not as in tune with the discount home building market but during my touring of homes while in the market to purchase one, some of the construction was laughable.  Anecdotes tell me that homes built with such poor construction were probably built at $125/ft - if that's the case, I run for the exits.
FYI - I have said I am not in the industry and have never claimed to be in the house building or selling field.  Apologies for not being so well versed in the nuances of home types.

So tell me, if you are so smart, why are the quality homes advertised as "Italian Built" or "European Built"?  I see some of the new homes built in Burnaby and wonder who would pay $3M for a home built without the badge of "Italian Built" or "European Built".  Crazy.
 
Harahomes
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:36 am

Re: Van detached house building costs

Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:32 pm

"So tell me, if you are so smart, why are the quality homes advertised as "Italian Built" or "European Built"?  I see some of the new homes built in Burnaby and wonder who would pay $3M for a home built without the badge of "Italian Built" or "European Built".  Crazy."
That's simple people like you think that if you pay more, or if you get a home built by a Caucasian it is better quality. 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests