This is a friendly, interactive exchange of information on all Real Estate related subjects. Follow on Twitter: @RETALKS


Moderator: admin

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 9
 
reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:30 am

Re: The dragon in the room: Hostility toward rich, Chinese newcomers

Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:54 pm

Demonizer wrote:
reallyreal2 wrote:
Demonizer wrote:
"Canada is going to just be another province of China"

That's the point.

China 2.0

once Chinese people become more ubiquitous than they already are, as ubiquitous as English or Scottish people people will realize they are probably the best type of people to become Canadians.

Canada needs some more guidance and who better than successful family oriented, education oriented, home valuing people.

the new face of Canada is emerging and it's a good thing. the previous occupants fucked up.

LOL - you can keep em in China.  From what I can see that place is a dive - no need to bring it here.

your ignorance is showing again. it's not the best but certainly not the worst. 
have you even been there? 
there is shitty places all over the world and even in Canada. there are beautiful places all over the world, even in China

i would not go to china if someone gave me a free ticket plus paid me. 
 
Demonizer
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:06 am

Re: The dragon in the room: Hostility toward rich, Chinese newcomers

Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:03 pm

reallyreal2 wrote:
Demonizer wrote:
reallyreal2 wrote:
LOL - you can keep em in China.  From what I can see that place is a dive - no need to bring it here.

your ignorance is showing again. it's not the best but certainly not the worst. 
have you even been there? 
there is shitty places all over the world and even in Canada. there are beautiful places all over the world, even in China

i would not go to china if someone gave me a free ticket plus paid me. 

that's the reason why Canada is trying to rid itself of closed-minded non-progressive persons such as yourself who don't realize how lucky they are but rather just sulk and complain in misery of their own prejudice and xenophobia. 
for example, Vancouver has become a great city with all it's variety and beauty, but then there are ones such as yourself who do not appreciate it and rather go back to the industrial backwater days.
here's some pictures of the Vancouver you miss you old fart.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
 
Demonizer
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:06 am

Re: The dragon in the room: Hostility toward rich, Chinese newcomers

Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:08 pm

reallyreal2 wrote:
Demonizer wrote:
reallyreal2 wrote:
LOL - you can keep em in China.  From what I can see that place is a dive - no need to bring it here.

your ignorance is showing again. it's not the best but certainly not the worst. 
have you even been there? 
there is shitty places all over the world and even in Canada. there are beautiful places all over the world, even in China

i would not go to china if someone gave me a free ticket plus paid me. 

that's rather ignorant but to be expected from a close minded person.
i bet you probably never traveled outside of BC. LOL
i know your type, you seem to want to love and protect Canada but are too cheap to buck up and buy some of it LOLOLOL and then complain when someone does!!!
is this right ?
Image
 
reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:30 am

Re: The dragon in the room: Hostility toward rich, Chinese newcomers

Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:15 pm

What are you blathering about?

I don't care one way or the other about Canada... you are the one that seems to have a love affair with China and the Chinese like they are superior or something.  Guess what, you are wrong.  

If China and Chinese were so great, people from Canada would be moving there.  They aren't.  Proof is in the pudding.

I really don't care one way or the other about the Chinese - but people that seem to think that the Chinese have a monopoly on hard work, family, etc amuse me.  Did you even read the article you posted?  Many of the Chinese don't like it there because the country tries to brainwash their children (clearly worked on you) and they want a better life.  So yes, the people that lived here screwed it up so much that the superior Chinese are fleeing to come here for a "better life".  
 
westcoastfella
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 1581
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:11 am

Re: The dragon in the room: Hostility toward rich, Chinese newcomers

Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:23 pm

Demonizer wrote:
westcoastfella wrote:
However, the Chinese community is the only community that I've seen, that goes to length to call this tax "racist", or label it as "hostile to our community", as if it was specifically levied against the Chinese.  Or do you have examples of other similar articles for other communities?

not just Chinese people do, many Caucasians do too. not all Caucasians are against foreign investment and cash injection into Canada. it is racist if it was meant to keep people from coming into Canada. That's discrimination against non Canadians, if that's not racist at the very least it's nationalist which isn't too far from racist.
while i accept some merit on the argument that it's a tax on foreigners and not Chinese, you aren't fooling anyone. 
as perpetual foreigners we all know what foreigner really means in Vancouver. it means "Asian". because let's be honest if it were a whole boatload of rich Swedish babes most likely no one would be complaining at all. 

Just some clarifications:
  • I don't think anyone is really against foreign investment in Canada - any economy benefits from positive growth.  I don't think many people equate buying houses with the true intent of "foreign investment", even though it technically meets the definition of the phrase.  But that might just be me.
  • There is nothing in this tax that "prevents people from coming into Canada", all foreigners are still free to move here and live here.  They can even buy homes - they just have to pay 15% more to do so.
  • "Discrimination against non-Canadians" != "racist", and there is a big difference between racism and nationalism despite the fact that you want to put them both together...  which is really at the heart of this whole debate.  Seeing as you've started defining things for us, allow me to do the same:
rac·ist
[size=150]ˈrāsəst/
noun
[/size]

  1. 1.
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another

There is nothing in the foreigner tax that stipulates it is against a particular race, nor is it unilaterally applied to a particular race.  It is applied to Chinese, Japanese, Korean, English, German, Persian, Americans, etc equally - ie, all foreigners.  Similarly, all Canadians of all races and origin countries are exempt from the tax.


As for being discriminatory against non-Canadians, of course we are!  We regularly discriminate against non-Canadians
  • they cannot vote in our elections
  • they cannot run for office provincially or federally
  • they pay extra money to go to our universities
  • they must live in Canada for a certain amount of time
  • their PR or less status can be revoked at any time
  • they accept that Canadian citizens get preference for employment
  • they cannot hold national government jobs
No one seems to complain about these clearly discriminatory practices... yet tack on 15% to  your home purchase, and suddenly we're a bunch of foreigner-hating racists...
 
reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:30 am

Re: The dragon in the room: Hostility toward rich, Chinese newcomers

Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:29 pm

demonizer is just jealous - can see it a mile away.
 
Demonizer
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:06 am

Re: The dragon in the room: Hostility toward rich, Chinese newcomers

Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:41 pm

reallyreal2 wrote:
What are you blathering about?

I don't care one way or the other about Canada... you are the one that seems to have a love affair with China and the Chinese like they are superior or something.  Guess what, you are wrong.  

If China and Chinese were so great, people from Canada would be moving there.  They aren't.  Proof is in the pudding.

I really don't care one way or the other about the Chinese - but people that seem to think that the Chinese have a monopoly on hard work, family, etc amuse me.  Did you even read the article you posted?  Many of the Chinese don't like it there because the country tries to brainwash their children (clearly worked on you) and they want a better life.  So yes, the people that lived here screwed it up so much that the superior Chinese are fleeing to come here for a "better life".  

1. you seem to care a lot judging by all your talk about "canada for canadians" nonsense whatever that means.
2. only a small fraction of chinese move to canada and vice versa for canadians moving to china. but guess what, it happens. it's only because chinese are so numerous it will always seem like a lot to other countries with 500x less people. (i'll guess there are maybe 2 million Chinese heritage people in Canada and likely something around 1000x that worldwide)
3. it's not necessarily a "better" life, it's just different. what's good for some may not be so much for others. for Example, Canada market and business climate is not that great. what's good is a relatively slower more relaxed pace and in many ways less demanding way of life although the traffic and density here in certain urban areas can get comparable.
so to be honest, most of the criminals who do all the drug crimes, robberies, thefts, break ins, rapes, assaults, etc etc are mostly not chinese. this tells me that Asians can become better canadians than even caucasian ones.
Last edited by Demonizer on Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:30 am

Re: The dragon in the room: Hostility toward rich, Chinese newcomers

Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:49 pm

Demonizer wrote:
reallyreal2 wrote:
What are you blathering about?

I don't care one way or the other about Canada... you are the one that seems to have a love affair with China and the Chinese like they are superior or something.  Guess what, you are wrong.  

If China and Chinese were so great, people from Canada would be moving there.  They aren't.  Proof is in the pudding.

I really don't care one way or the other about the Chinese - but people that seem to think that the Chinese have a monopoly on hard work, family, etc amuse me.  Did you even read the article you posted?  Many of the Chinese don't like it there because the country tries to brainwash their children (clearly worked on you) and they want a better life.  So yes, the people that lived here screwed it up so much that the superior Chinese are fleeing to come here for a "better life".  

1. you seem to care a lot judging by all your talk about "canada for canadians" nonsense whatever that means.
2. only a small fraction of chinese move to canada and vice versa for canadians moving to china. but guess what, it happens. it's only because chinese are so numerous it will always seem like a lot to other countries with 100x less people. (i'll guess there are maybe 2 million Chinese heritage people in Canada and likely something around 1000x that worldwide)
3. it's not necessarily a "better" life, it's just different. what's good for some may not be so much for others. for Example, Canada market and business climate is not that great. what's good is a relatively slower more relaxed pace and in many ways less demanding way of life although the traffic and density here in certain urban areas can get comparable.
so to be honest, most of the criminals who do all the drug crimes, thefts, break ins, rapes, assaults, etc etc are mostly not chinese. this tells me that Asians can become better canadians than even caucasian ones.

1 - Canada for Canadians.... if you have a Canadian passport, you are Canadian.  Glad I can clear that up.
2 - No - more Chinese move to Canada than vice versa.  That's all the proof anyone needs.
3 - Completely false.  China has the worst crime problem in the world.  More criminals in China than anywhere.  
 
Demonizer
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:06 am

Re: The dragon in the room: Hostility toward rich, Chinese newcomers

Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:58 pm

westcoastfella wrote:
Demonizer wrote:
westcoastfella wrote:
However, the Chinese community is the only community that I've seen, that goes to length to call this tax "racist", or label it as "hostile to our community", as if it was specifically levied against the Chinese.  Or do you have examples of other similar articles for other communities?

not just Chinese people do, many Caucasians do too. not all Caucasians are against foreign investment and cash injection into Canada. it is racist if it was meant to keep people from coming into Canada. That's discrimination against non Canadians, if that's not racist at the very least it's nationalist which isn't too far from racist.
while i accept some merit on the argument that it's a tax on foreigners and not Chinese, you aren't fooling anyone. 
as perpetual foreigners we all know what foreigner really means in Vancouver. it means "Asian". because let's be honest if it were a whole boatload of rich Swedish babes most likely no one would be complaining at all. 

Just some clarifications:
  • I don't think anyone is really against foreign investment in Canada - any economy benefits from positive growth.  I don't think many people equate buying houses with the true intent of "foreign investment", even though it technically meets the definition of the phrase.  But that might just be me.
  • There is nothing in this tax that "prevents people from coming into Canada", all foreigners are still free to move here and live here.  They can even buy homes - they just have to pay 15% more to do so.
  • "Discrimination against non-Canadians" != "racist", and there is a big difference between racism and nationalism despite the fact that you want to put them both together...  which is really at the heart of this whole debate.  Seeing as you've started defining things for us, allow me to do the same:
rac·ist
[size=150]ˈrāsəst/
noun
[/size]

  1. 1.
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another

There is nothing in the foreigner tax that stipulates it is against a particular race, nor is it unilaterally applied to a particular race.  It is applied to Chinese, Japanese, Korean, English, German, Persian, Americans, etc equally - ie, all foreigners.  Similarly, all Canadians of all races and origin countries are exempt from the tax.


As for being discriminatory against non-Canadians, of course we are!  We regularly discriminate against non-Canadians
  • they cannot vote in our elections
  • they cannot run for office provincially or federally
  • they pay extra money to go to our universities
  • they must live in Canada for a certain amount of time
  • their PR or less status can be revoked at any time
  • they accept that Canadian citizens get preference for employment
  • they cannot hold national government jobs
No one seems to complain about these clearly discriminatory practices... yet tack on 15% to  your home purchase, and suddenly we're a bunch of foreigner-hating racists...

you have some points but some of these discriminatory practices need to stop.
even though caucasians do hold the majority of government jobs there are non caucasian faces showing up all the time.
however things like voting and such most canadian people don't even care about. 
  • they cannot vote in our elections (no one cares, if voting really mattered they wouldn't let us do it)
  • they cannot run for office provincially or federally (no one cares not many running for office anyways)
  • they pay extra money to go to our universities (no one cares but they should at this unethical practice)
  • they must live in Canada for a certain amount of time (no one cares)
  • their PR or less status can be revoked at any time (no one cares)
  • they accept that Canadian citizens get preference for employment (no one cares, they start own business)
  • they cannot hold national government jobs (no one cares, not a desired job)
  • they have to pay an extra tax to buy a home (people care because it is a legalized theft)
 
Demonizer
Real Estate Talker
Topic Author
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:06 am

Re: The dragon in the room: Hostility toward rich, Chinese newcomers

Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:05 pm

the point of this article is not to illustrate the foreign tax,

it's to illustrate that the intent of the tax was a bit misguided and are hurting innocent people.

but it's not surprising, there are a lot of hurt inflicted on innocent people.

you can be stuck at a stoplight and you pick up your phone to look at it and will be dinged with a $367 fine.

so just because something is commonly discriminatory, it does not mean it is right.

another issue is that even if you are not a foreign buyer subject to a 15% tax, you will still be labeled a foreigner regardless. that's the problem. the false imagery represented of what a canadian and what a foreigner is. on paper it's easy, in real life, not so easy to differentiate, distinguish and identify.

labeling certain people the perpetual foreigner, 

and also have been subjected to model minority myths which limit their accessibility to services, help and support

you face more discrimination with police, medical service, law service, etc etc. the list goes on.
 
reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:30 am

Re: The dragon in the room: Hostility toward rich, Chinese newcomers

Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:26 pm

you do realize that you are making zero sense right now..... it barely qualifies as english

keep up the good work.   :D
 
Harahomes
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:36 am

Re: The dragon in the room: Hostility toward rich, Chinese newcomers

Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:53 pm

WHY ARE YOU FEEDING THE TROLLLL!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

JUST INGNORE REALLY REAL!!! :roll:

I have and my problems have stopped
 
VanLord
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 283
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:52 pm

Re: The dragon in the room: Hostility toward rich, Chinese newcomers

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:05 pm

Demonizer wrote:

the new face of Canada is emerging and it's a good thing. the previous occupants fucked up.

Sounds like you are pretty racist, most of your comments in this section have racist undertones.  Canada may not be perfect but its been a pretty great place for many years, if its so fucked up, why are all these people trying to come live here. 
 
reallyreal2
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:30 am

Re: The dragon in the room: Hostility toward rich, Chinese newcomers

Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:05 pm

VanLord wrote:
Demonizer wrote:

the new face of Canada is emerging and it's a good thing. the previous occupants fucked up.

Sounds like you are pretty racist, most of your comments in this section have racist undertones.  Canada may not be perfect but its been a pretty great place for many years, if its so fucked up, why are all these people trying to come live here. 


Vanlord - agree 100% with your post.

Not sure what Demonizer is trying to prove. It's hilarious that he has the audacity to claim racism - yet claims racial superiority of the Chinese.

Isn't that ironic? Don't you think?
 
eyesthebye2
Real Estate Talker
Posts: 1130
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:41 am

Re: The dragon in the room: Hostility toward rich, Chinese newcomers

Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:19 pm

100 years from now Chinese ancestors of these complainers are going to sue the BC government for this "head tax" lol
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 9

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest